Managing Post-Op Pain

Jennica17
on 5/8/15 4:58 pm

I had surgery on April 8th. I am still experiencing sharp, almost a tearing pain in the middle of my abdomen when I transition from standing to sitting. I try to walk as much as possible, but it takes about 15 minutes before the pain subsides. I'm trying to get off the pain meds by taking Advil or liquid Tylenol. Any suggestions on either exercises or different otc meds I could try? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Never give up!

Jennica

angel91e
on 5/8/15 8:04 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I don't think we are suppose to take things like Advil, Aleve, or other NSAIDS due to the high risk of ulcers. If you are still having that much pain I would make an appointment to be seen by the surgeon. You are in the time frame where complications such as strictures are common. I hope your pain gets better soon and kudos for not letting it stop you from getting in your walking.

Keep us posted on how you are doing

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

cspotrun
on 5/9/15 6:22 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Yes definitely what Angel said.  No Advil if you had RNY, never again!  I think you really should check in with your doctor, especially because it lasts for 15 minutes after.  Are you able to eat and drink ok?

Best of luck to you!

Karen   

christinerocks
on 5/9/15 6:34 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Jennica, I had surgery the same week as you did and went in for a 1 month check with my surgeon.  Have you had your 1 month check up yet? Even if it's not required I hope you'll go and find out what's causing this pain. Everyone heals differently but this doesn't sound quite right to me either.  Good luck surgery town and let us know how it goes with the surgeon! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Jennica17
on 5/9/15 5:44 pm

Thanks, everyone. I did have my check-up this past Thursday. He believes I am healing at a slow rate and told me to call if it doesn't subside after a few more weeks.  Due to the location, he suggested Miralax. It did make things better, but by the end of the day, the pain is back. I'm not gonna lie-I get impatient with myself and try to do too much too soon. MODERATION is my new word of the month that I must practice when wanting to conquer the world in a day.  

Never give up!

Jennica

kimmarie63
on 5/10/15 5:19 am
RNY on 11/24/14

I also had severe tearing pain upon sitting and standing. Lasted about 4-5 weeks. In my case, I also had a hernia repair at the same time as RNY, so my surgeon thought that it may have been some surgical tacks used to secure the mesh. Then one day, it was just gone. Hang in there and take it easy! It will get better!

Jennica17
on 5/13/15 8:38 am

Each day is getting better. Today I have little to no pain! :) I am feeling optimistic and ready to ease myself into a workout routine. There is light at the end of the pain tunnel.

Never give up!

Jennica

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 419 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 231 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?