Discouraged and feel that this is impossible - those who lost slow did you lose what you...

mute
on 5/8/15 4:02 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Thank you for that comment. I end up beating myself up because I feel like that I can use that as an excuse. I know it is harder to lose weight after chemo and after we're in menopause but I also know I'm much bigger than all of my cancer friends so I have a hard time not thinking it's just me. I know I'm tough, I know I can do just about anything! I'm more concerned about my overall health. I know this is something has to happen and cancer is one of my main reasons.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Laura in Texas
on 5/8/15 7:13 pm

I've lost and kept off 200 pounds at 6.5 years out. You can, too. I will tell you I followed my plan to a t until I got to goal. I have learned to love myself along the way which helps me make good choices most of the time because I know I deserve to he healthy and happy. 

Be kind to yourself. The mental part is definitely the hardest.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

angel91e
on 5/8/15 1:05 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I was self pay too and it is nerve wracking to fear failure on such a huge investment. However all you can do is realize that a good attitude will take you farther and do your best. If tracking is hard. It was for me too then I found that it got easier with the support of a social network. The nice part of My Fitness Pal is that you can add friends and most of us are on there. If it helps keep you motivated and on track you can feel free to add me to your friend list on here and on MFP I'm listed as angel91e on both places. Just keep your head up and hang in there at about three or four months it's like flipping a switch it really does get that much easier. So take a deep breath you can do this and remember that when was the last time you were able to lose weight at all? This really does work better than anything else. It will be ok I promise

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Poodlemac
on 5/8/15 1:52 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On May 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM Pacific Time, mute wrote:

I know I'm always posting negative things here but I'm just struggling lately :(

I've been following closely what to eat and measuring out my portions to 2 oz. I haven't even thought about cheating (ok I thought about french fries yesterday but I DID NOT eat them!).  I eat 3-5 meals a day, now that I'm eating more solid foods and able to get my protein in more easily that varies from day to day depending on what I eat and it might be 3 and might be 5. I count only protein and water, not calories but I can't be eating that many calories or carbs for that matter because I'm not eating potatoes, crackers, rice, pasta, etc.

I'll be 7 weeks out on Monday. I've lost 29 pounds. I've literally seen people lose that in 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. I have SO much weight to lose that I'm really starting to freak out. I'm trying to adjust my mindset and adjust my goals in my head so I'm not too disappointed but it's really hard. I didn't spend all my money (insurance didn't cover) to not be successful. Which is partly why I'm freaking out - I feel so guilty  that it's not super easy for me like some people when I spent this much money!

I know I didn't get to be my starting weight over night but I also know the honeymoon period only lasts so long and that terrifies me. During the 2 week liquid diet I had to do - and also did not cheat on- I GAINED 3 pounds. I'm on some meds which I don't know if is hindering me - one AD, and 3 for migraines. I don't want to blame it on the meds but I also don't want to waste this chance I have to lose this weight.

I needed to vent and freak out here. I also needed to know from the people who've been around for a while - those who seemed to lose slow did you ever lose what you wanted to or get to a reasonable weight? And did you have a lot to lose?

First of all, calm down!  I totally get your fear, I was there too. What you have to remember is we all lose weight at a pace right for our own bodies!  Also, MANY people who post on these boards might say they've lost 80 lbs and had surgery March 3, but what is not clear is that they count their pre-op weight loss requirement from 6 mos or more before surgery!  They are not lying at all about their loss, but sometimes we count from a different point starting point!  You are doing an amazing job!!  My doctor reminds me that we lose weight like stair steps. Down, then flat. Down, then flat. Not like going down a hill!  I had very slow loss in months 5&6, then started losing a pond or two DAILY!  I will say I do lose more when I drink more water and get at least 10,000 steps a day!!  Keep up the good work!!  It will come off!!

SkinnyScientist
on 5/8/15 1:59 pm

Hey Friend,

I see this and I feel bad that you are down in the dumps and scared.

I know you got a long row to hoe.  But you ARE going to do it. You ARE.  You are going to do it the same way in which one "eats an elephant."  To eat an elephant, you do it "one bite at a time."  YOU are going to do the same.  You are continue to log, weight your portions, and follow your surgeon's plan. 

You are motivated!  You ARE going to continue to do the right thing. It IS going to work because you are doing the right thing and will CONTINUE to do the right thing.

If you can, try to incorporate a bit of physical activity into your activities. I know you said you have cancer.  Are you weak/bed/chair ridden?  If so, could your bicep curl some magazines?  I know it sounds crazy, but sometiems it is just bloat and fluid sitting in the integument and you just got to move a little to get it flowing out (i.e. it could be water weight).

Also, have you pooped?  This sounds weird and is probably TMI, but I poop only 3 times a week (you dont want to emulate this by the way). I can easily gain a pound per day (i.e. 3 lbs****il I go poo. Then I poop and am 'magically" down 3 lbs. Note: this is not a hint to abuse laxatives. This is just an idea of where the 3 lbs is coming from.

Also, some weeks the weight loss will be faster than others. Notably, the weeks in which I excerised the longest and the hardest WERENT the weeks I lost the most (repairing muscles can retain water).  

Just keep doing the right thing (i.e. diet and exercise (if you can)), the surgery WILL take care of the rest.

Also, stay away from carbs unless you are diabetic! Carbs can make one bloat faster than anything (well...not as fast as salt..but almst as fast).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

mute
on 5/8/15 2:21 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Thank you for the kind words. Really!

I should clarify - I had an aggressive form of breast cancer 8 years ago when I was 25. I don't have it anymore. I have a tendency to want to blame the cancer for A LOT. Because I had lost 100 pounds right before cancer and then with treatment I put all of that back on. Then with the meds in the 2 years after even more. And then I had to have my ovaries removed so I went into menopause. And I've had maybe 15 surgeries between 2007 and 2010.

So I don't have cancer now, I don't want to mislead anyone, sorry about that! I just meant I am post menopausal, you wouldn't think that to look at my picture when you see a 33 year old.

I'm not bed ridden thankfully, my arms are very weak though due to lymph nodes taken out for my mastectomies. I'm starting to do a home video that I don't mind so much and my goal is to do it more and more. The magazines are actually a good idea because I can't do weights. 

And I would say 3 times a week is about the same amount I poop. Which is actually about normal for me from pre op too, but before it was painful because my IBS was always acting up. Now IBS doesn't seem to be a factor so far over the last 7 weeks.

Melinda

SkinnyScientist
on 5/8/15 2:42 pm

I had to start slow with magazines, then books, then empty contaniers filled with various forms of water.

I had back surgery about 7 years ago (i was about 270-300 lbs). As far as physical strength, it can taek a long time to "come back" from a big surgery.  In the case of my back, i probably never will be 100% as I have 17-22 lbs max set as my weight limit for squats, deadlifts, and lunges.

Nonetheless, I try to focus on what I CAN do and go gang-busters with that!

:)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

hollykim
on 5/8/15 2:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM Pacific Time, mute wrote:

I know I'm always posting negative things here but I'm just struggling lately :(

I've been following closely what to eat and measuring out my portions to 2 oz. I haven't even thought about cheating (ok I thought about french fries yesterday but I DID NOT eat them!).  I eat 3-5 meals a day, now that I'm eating more solid foods and able to get my protein in more easily that varies from day to day depending on what I eat and it might be 3 and might be 5. I count only protein and water, not calories but I can't be eating that many calories or carbs for that matter because I'm not eating potatoes, crackers, rice, pasta, etc.

I'll be 7 weeks out on Monday. I've lost 29 pounds. I've literally seen people lose that in 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. I have SO much weight to lose that I'm really starting to freak out. I'm trying to adjust my mindset and adjust my goals in my head so I'm not too disappointed but it's really hard. I didn't spend all my money (insurance didn't cover) to not be successful. Which is partly why I'm freaking out - I feel so guilty  that it's not super easy for me like some people when I spent this much money!

I know I didn't get to be my starting weight over night but I also know the honeymoon period only lasts so long and that terrifies me. During the 2 week liquid diet I had to do - and also did not cheat on- I GAINED 3 pounds. I'm on some meds which I don't know if is hindering me - one AD, and 3 for migraines. I don't want to blame it on the meds but I also don't want to waste this chance I have to lose this weight.

I needed to vent and freak out here. I also needed to know from the people who've been around for a while - those who seemed to lose slow did you ever lose what you wanted to or get to a reasonable weight? And did you have a lot to lose?

mp is easy to. Track on. You don't even have to enter any set amount of calories etc that you are aiming for to enter food for the day. Once you enter your food for a couple of days it will give you a much better idea if you are eating too much to allow loss. 

Most of us find/ have found that something in the 700-900 cal range allows for weight loss. Also carbs like milk,protein bars,sweet potatoes oatmeal,triscuit,etc etc,so called "healthy" carbs,will stop loss,they do for me. It doesn't just have to be junk. 

What is a typical menu like for you?

mute
on 5/8/15 3:20 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Typical menu is 

B -Premier Protein shake in AM

L -Turkey deli slices with laughing cow light cheese spread

S- 1/2 triple zero dannon yogurt

D - 1 1/2 boiled egg whites

S - cheese stick

I find I can only have 1 meat a day so if I have turkey I can't have tuna the same day. So switch out turkey for tuna or chicken and switch out the yogurt for ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. I'm just now in the last week starting recipes from eggface's website and I've tried 2 so far and going to try more so I can get off the soft food as much.

Melinda

hollykim
on 5/8/15 6:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 8, 2015 at 3:20 PM Pacific Time, mute wrote:

Typical menu is 

B -Premier Protein shake in AM

L -Turkey deli slices with laughing cow light cheese spread

S- 1/2 triple zero dannon yogurt

D - 1 1/2 boiled egg whites

S - cheese stick

I find I can only have 1 meat a day so if I have turkey I can't have tuna the same day. So switch out turkey for tuna or chicken and switch out the yogurt for ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. I'm just now in the last week starting recipes from eggface's website and I've tried 2 so far and going to try more so I can get off the soft food as much.

your menu looks good. How about fluids? Getting 64+ oz a day? That is important too. 

Stay the course and yes,this is not a "diet". This is your eating plan,more or less,for the rest of your life. You will get where you are going.

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views