Discouraged and feel that this is impossible - those who lost slow did you lose what you...

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/15 3:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

For those that have the fat stores that we did, it's hard to go too low. A lot of people are around 500 calories for a long time, others at 700 or so. 500 at 6 weeks isn't too little.

Tracking meticulously, weighing every bite of food, is the best thing I've done.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

boxtop2006
on 5/8/15 3:25 pm
RNY on 03/24/15

Thanks!!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

mute
on 5/8/15 12:49 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I haven't been, I started before but stopped because I hate hate hate tracking food like that. I did before on my diets previously and can't stand it. But I'll try to start again. I've seen a lot of people say they use it so it can't be that bad. Although I have no idea what my calories should be around.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/15 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

While you read posts, take note of how many calories people are eating and at what stage. Weighing your food and tracking very closely has really helped me in many ways. It's worth a try.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AngryViking
on 5/8/15 5:03 am, edited 5/8/15 5:45 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I just went and looked at my weight entries on MFP and at the 6 week mark, I was down 23 lbs. from my surgery weight.  I don't have a weight entered at 7 weeks, but at 8 weeks I was down 33 lbs.  I can't tell you if that's a slow start or not, but at 9 1/2 months post -op, I've lost 118 lbs. since surgery for a total of 131 lbs. 

Do I sometimes think I should have/could be losing more?  Yes.  Is the learning curve (especially at the beginning) incredibly steep?  You bet.  There'll be bumps in the road and hiccups along the way but as long as you follow the plan, exercise patience and BE KIND TO YOURSELF, you will be successful.

I still have 35 lbs. to get to the goal weight I picked for myself, but I WILL get there.  And so will you.

Dartmouth
on 5/8/15 12:21 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi

I am just a year out and was a very slow looser....I am 67 years old, was overweight for most of my life, am by nature a couch potato....

i have lost over 100 pounds this year., gone from a size 24 to a 4/6 ( yes....you read that right!)...very. very, very slowly. I stuck to my protein, calories, vitamins and drinking.  At times I was ready to throw the scale out of the window, rip up my eating diary and quit ( which I couldn't, of course!)

I am well below the goal my surgeon set for me only because I just kept my head down and ate to plan and when I was down, I said next week will be better and when I was up, I said that I was so grateful....

Don't be discouraged.  You are loosing very well....I never lost 4 lbs in a week.  This is a very long journey...exciting, challenging and at times fun but not easy!

Good luck to you....I really know you can do this!

joan

karenp8
on 5/8/15 12:21 pm - Brighton, IL

Most of us want instant gratification and want the pounds gone yesterday but that's just not the way it works. We set too high of goals for ourselves and then get down on ourselves when we don't meet them. Your weight loss is just fine at about 4 pounds per week. My surgeon says 3 to 5 pounds per week is normal weight loss. I would suggest only weighing once a week if the number is going to effect your whole day. Also don't let the exercise class affect your view of exercise. I have never done a group exercise class or set foot in a gym and I am about three years out and 25 pounds below my goal weight. I am very uncoordinated and feel like a clutz in a gym. I have a treadmill,exercise bike and lots of different DVDs that I use to get my exercise in everyday and have done just fine. When I started I was out of breath going down my basement steps and now I walk 6 miles a day. One step at a time,honey! Everyday will get a bit easier and you will get there and all this will be a distant memory.

mute
on 5/8/15 12:36 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm surgically induced post menopausal due to cancer. And having 80-100 pounds to lose would maybe feel different than having 202 pounds to lose. It feels insurmountable. If I had less to lose I wouldn't feel so panicky maybe. Or if insurance paid for it? I don't know. 

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

This is the first time I feel like eating my emotions since January, this weekend is going to suck.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

karenp8
on 5/8/15 1:03 pm - Brighton, IL

I am post menopausal due to age. I started at 272 and now weigh 120. When I want to eat my feelings I try to take that frustration and take a walk. It's amazing how much better I feel when I get done!

mschwab
on 5/8/15 3:35 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

I am post menopausal due to age and chemo for breast cancer.  There is no way around it. Losing weight after chemo is tough, and it is slow.  That is the hand we've been dealt, and there is nothing we can do to change that.  So, follow your surgeon's plan and don't compare your weight loss to anyone else's.  The weight will come off. Remember, this is not a diet and it is not a race.  This is the rest of your life.  

You've been given an incredible tool that will work, and you've already proved that you are tough and can handle anything.  You did that with cancer.  There is nothing tougher than that.

The scale is just one data point.  Celebrate how much better you feel. How your clothes fit.  How you can movie easier.  You will find something to celebrate every single day.  Enjoy the journey.  It truly is remarkable.  

Only best wishes for you and your success!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views