Discouraged and feel that this is impossible - those who lost slow did you lose what you...

mute
on 5/8/15 10:54 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I know I'm always posting negative things here but I'm just struggling lately :(

I've been following closely what to eat and measuring out my portions to 2 oz. I haven't even thought about cheating (ok I thought about french fries yesterday but I DID NOT eat them!).  I eat 3-5 meals a day, now that I'm eating more solid foods and able to get my protein in more easily that varies from day to day depending on what I eat and it might be 3 and might be 5. I count only protein and water, not calories but I can't be eating that many calories or carbs for that matter because I'm not eating potatoes, crackers, rice, pasta, etc.

I'll be 7 weeks out on Monday. I've lost 29 pounds. I've literally seen people lose that in 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. I have SO much weight to lose that I'm really starting to freak out. I'm trying to adjust my mindset and adjust my goals in my head so I'm not too disappointed but it's really hard. I didn't spend all my money (insurance didn't cover) to not be successful. Which is partly why I'm freaking out - I feel so guilty  that it's not super easy for me like some people when I spent this much money!

I know I didn't get to be my starting weight over night but I also know the honeymoon period only lasts so long and that terrifies me. During the 2 week liquid diet I had to do - and also did not cheat on- I GAINED 3 pounds. I'm on some meds which I don't know if is hindering me - one AD, and 3 for migraines. I don't want to blame it on the meds but I also don't want to waste this chance I have to lose this weight.

I needed to vent and freak out here. I also needed to know from the people who've been around for a while - those who seemed to lose slow did you ever lose what you wanted to or get to a reasonable weight? And did you have a lot to lose?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

rocky513
on 5/8/15 11:07 am - WI

RELAX!!!!  You've lost 29 pounds in 7 weeks.  That's just over 4 pounds per week.  That is EXCELLENT weight loss.  When have you ever lost 4 pounds in one week?  Keep following the program.  YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT.  Stop comparing your loss to what others have experienced. Everyone loses at their own rate.  You've already convinced yourself that you will fail.  Negative self talk gets you NOWHERE FAST.  

My advice to you.... STAY OFF THE SCALE!!!  It obviously stresses you out.  Track your progress with a tape measure and keep a chart of inches lost.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mute
on 5/8/15 11:19 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I gained this week - it looks like I'm back down to 22 pounds lost but I jumped off the scales because I honestly didn't want to know and decided I would find out for sure on Monday which is the day I weigh myself and that's stressing me out along with my awful experience at trying to take the exercise class on Monday. 

And who isn't worried they're going to fail when they start out doing this? Please don't make me feel worse by tell me that I'm going to make myself do worse by thinking negative thoughts. I would assume a lot of people have had these thoughts on here. 

Melinda

rocky513
on 5/8/15 11:38 am - WI

Wow

I was NOT trying to make you feel worse.  I was trying to get you to relax and not stress.  Being down on yourself is not productive.  People do have negative thoughts and I tell them the same thing I told you.  This process works if you follow the WLS rules.

Everyone loses at a different pace.  Those are the facts!  We all have stalls and small gains.  Weight fluctuates...period.  You have not eaten enough calories to have actually gained 7 pounds of fat.  You know that.  I'm trying to get you to think logically and not let emotions get the better of you.  The weight will go.  Just keep following the program.

Some people can weigh daily and not let the number they see bother them.  The scale stresses you out.  Stress is not going to get you to your goal.  You are doing everything right, so let the process work.  The exercise class will come later.  Start small and work up to that exercise class.  You are expecting WAY too much from yourself.  You need to be kind to yourself.  

I apologize if I offended you.  I want you to succeed.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mute
on 5/8/15 11:53 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Sorry, stressed and crankier than usual. I've had a very bad week, not counting the WLS part too.

Melinda

Dcgirl
on 5/8/15 12:39 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I'm with Rocky!  Weight loss varies for everyone - and remember, a pound is 3,500 calories!  I came home from a work trip to Florida and the following day I weighed the same as when I left three days earlier.  The following day, I was down 3 lbs.  Now, I didn't have a 10,500 (3,500 calories x 3 lbs) calorie deficit - it was my body adjusting, salt intake, hormones, etc.

You said you are only counting protein, not calories.  Each plan is different, so take this with a grain of salt.  But I counted every bite in my mouth via the app MyFitnessPal for the first year, and continue to track pretty regularly now that I am at goal.  Certain things have hidden carbs and calories - skim milk, for example, or certain yogurts.  Maybe try to read the daily "What are you eating today?" post and get ideas from people who are around 2 months post-op?  

Again, this varies from person to person, but I was under 40 carbs a day for a good six to eight months, and I went from surgery weight 151 to today's weight, 154.  Now that I eat more carbs, I find they boost my calories and make me crave more carbs.  They are NO GOOD!  lol.  And there are carbs in yogurt, bananas, peanut butter...all sorts of stuff that isn't rice and bread.  I can credit my success to being super low carb for a good long time...as soon as those tortilla chips and fries snuck in, I noticed some plateaus.  Just my experience :)

Stay the course and believe in this tool!  I can tell you my WORST eating day post op is still probably 1/3 of the calories pre-op.  You just can't fit that much in.  It's a wild ride but you will do great if you come here for support, ask for advice, and follow a good plan!  Good luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/15 3:06 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Great advice!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Maria27
on 5/8/15 11:37 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I also feel like I am losing slow. Have you thought about taking probiotics? I can't comment on how effective they are, but I did hear that they help after RNY. There is at least one study that showed more weight lost in RNY patients who take them. I asked my dietitian about it, and she was on board with me taking them. She recommended trader joe's brand and said to take them for two weeks at a time with two weeks off between. I am planning on picking some up next time I go to trader joe's.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/15 11:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you are using something like MyFitnessPal to log food, it wouldn't hurt to log calories. Then you would know for sure how much you're eating. If your calories are low enough, you'll just need to be patient. If they aren't, you know what and  how much to cut back.

But 4 pounds per week is great loss.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

boxtop2006
on 5/8/15 12:13 pm
RNY on 03/24/15

Grim,  Is there a such thing as too little calories?  My NUT said to take in about 700 calories but at a little over 6 weeks out that's kinda hard with trying to make sure I have my water and my protein, I never get over 600 calories and usually it is more like 500, but I have my protein usually around 57, low Carbs usually around 20, and low fat also usually around 20.  I've lost 17lbs since surgery (3-24-2015), I'm not complaining that is 2.8lbs a week.  At three weeks out I was losing it much faster as I lost 11lbs in that time but for some reason it has slowed down a little, but I know in time I will lose what I need to lose.  Oh, and I do track all my food (cal, protein, carbs, fat, etc), water and exercise (between 1-2hrs of walking or eliptical) on MFP.  Thanks for your help/any advice you can give a newby! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 505 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 234 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views