Am I "eating" (drinking) too many calories in my first week post-op?

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 2:16 am, edited 5/7/15 2:24 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I have a 218 day logging streak on MyFitnessPal!  :)  Here's what I had yesterday, which actually wound up being 662 calories because I couldn't finish the last yogurt. I didn't really log it as "meals" since I was aiming for about an ounce every 15 minutes and took a lot of naps:

Trader Joe's Greek Nonfat Yogurt (5.3 oz) - 120 cals

8 oz. Unjury protein shake made w/ 2% milk and 1 scoop Benefiber - 297 cals

1/2 cup Trader Joe's pureed corn & red pepper soup (over 30 mins) - 55 cals

Later, another 1/2 cup TJ's soup (over 30 mins) - 55 cals

Health Choice NSA popsicle fudge bar (I asked my NUT specifically if these would be ok for stage 1 and she said they would) - 100 cals

1/2 TJ's Greek yogurt (5.3 oz) - 85 cals

Total 662 cals, 62g protein

So what am I doing wrong? Choosing yogurts that are too high in calories? I'd be happy with skim milk for the shakes, but 2% is what's recommended on my plan.

chulbert
on 5/7/15 10:22 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You seem to be eating a lot more frequently than you need to and many of your food choices are not protein-forward.

That soup is 110 calories for 6 grams of protein.  Not a superior choice.

That fudge bar is 80 calories (not 100) for 3 grams of protein.  Not a superior choice.

That yogurt is flavored and therefore contains additional calories and fruit that may not be allowed on your plan.  Not a superior choice.

Your numbers on the shake don't add up to me.  A cup of 2% milk is 120 calories and a scoop of Unjury is 100 for a total of 220.

I think you're indulging in unnecessary food rather than just going with water in some of your 15-minute time slots.

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 10:58 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for the feedback. Trust me, I'm not indulging on anything except maybe the Healthy Choice bar -- I don't actually like yogurt, but it, protein shakes, and strained soups are specifically on the written list from my clinic. I was told to choose lowfat yogurts that have less than 16g of sugar per container. Trader Joe's and Pacific Natural strained soups are mentioned by name.

You're right about the shake; I mis-added. It's 237 calories, not 297. 122 cals for the milk, 100 for the Unjury, and 15 for the Benefiber.

I guess the question is whether I should stick to the plan given to me by my NUT even though it seems to differ significantly from what many other clinics recommend. The first phase 1 sample menu in my book lists this: B: 1 cup protein shake made w/ 2% milk; S: 1 cup of yogurt; L: 1 cup tomato soup; S: 1/2 cup V8 juice (blech; that's why I split the soup into 2 servings instead); D: another protein shake.

This isn't the only example of my plan seeming a ways off from what I read on here, either. I see a lot of people say they never added carbs back in or didn't until they were in maintenance, but on my plan, under "6 to 12 weeks after sugery," it actually says, "Breads are best if toasted. Pasta and rice are better cooked soft. You may need to peel fruit." I don't know who to believe!

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 12:10 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

You know, I thought of something else, too -- my plan was probably written for people who have more difficulty getting all their fluids and protein in. Soup is better than getting dehydrated if it's all you can get in. But since I'm not having any trouble, it probably isn't necessary for *me.* I think you're absolutely right about the food vs. water -- from here on out, I'm going to aim for more water and less yogurt/soup as long as I'm still getting close to my protein goal. I don't want to sabotage myself less than a week out, and I want to use my (so far) easy recovery to my advantage. Thanks again for telling me what I needed to hear!

chulbert
on 5/7/15 7:32 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It does sound high.  Make sure you're measuring volume (fluid ounces) and not weight (ounces).  An 8 oz protein shake made with water should only be about 100 calories, 20+ grams of protein, and it should take you two hours to drink.  Three of those per day will meet your protein needs in about 300 calories.  All your other intervals can be water for no additional calories or you can sneak in a little fat-free greek yogurt, etc for just a few more calories.

That's what most of us do/did and that's the 300-500 calories you see.

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 9:18 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I am measuring in fluid ounces, and the alternating of 1 oz water, then 1 oz protein shake, then 2 bites of Greek yogurt, etc. is definitely making the shakes take about 4 hours to get down completely. I just posted my food log for yesterday on the post above if you have any comments on it specifically. I appreciate your input!

Gina 22 years out
on 5/7/15 7:44 am - Burleson, TX

If possible, call your NUT, today, for some clarification, then make YOUR decision, to stick with THAT, or not. Each program will be SO SO SO SO very, very, very different...Some count calories/protein/carbs...Some count AIR...You never know...

BREATHE...then make the call...You're doing fine !!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 9:19 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thank you! Although breathing might make me a nervous wreck too if I'm supposed to be counting air.  ;-)

caliannie
on 5/7/15 3:38 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I'm only 3 weeks out so still in pureed foods. My program says not to eat more than a 1/3 cup of food at a time and that's pureed. A full cup or any thing more than 4oz is tough for me to get down in less than an hour. I started back to work this week and Vitamin Water Zero has been a life saver in helping with liquid. The calories do seem a bit high. I'm in the 300-400 range on a good day but my doctor and NUT want me to focus on liquids and protein until my 1 month check up next week. My struggle right now is liquids. I definitely don't want to land in the ER because of dehydration so I'm really concentrating fluids. Good luck.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Kathyjs
on 5/9/15 7:51 pm

My jaw literally dropped when I read every 15 minutes. I am 12 years post op and I no longer measure or count but no way am I eating 750 calories. IMHO I would see a different nutritionalist. Wishing you the best

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 28 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views