craving sweets

Cooter N.
on 5/1/15 1:12 pm

I am 3 months out and started craving sweets bad. I have NOT given in but I hear them calling my name.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

White Dove
on 5/1/15 7:10 pm - Warren, OH

I analysed what I was craving and did my best to come up with substitutes that were healthy and low calorie.  I bought a wonderful ice cream maker and turned my protein shakes into ice cream.  I used sugarfree syrups and toppings.  I found a company that makes sugar-free chocolates that do not make me sick.  I always had a bag of their teenies in my purse and a nice stash of their candy bars on hand.  

Maine Cottage Foods is not cheap, but very good.  I count a candy bar as a meal so about $3 a bar was worthwhile to me.

I also enjoyed many boxes of Quest Bars.  I make homemade cookies, cakes and fudge.  My Fat free, sugar free Cheesecake only takes five minutes from start to eating and nobody even thinks it is diet food.

Do not try to do this with will power.  It is too hard.  Make plans to satisfy your cravings.  It will take time and money but the results will be so worthwhile.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Pokemom
on 5/1/15 11:53 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Great advice!  Thanks so much.

sleevedin2014
on 5/2/15 5:04 am

Quest Bars are my saving grace.  They have fulfilled my desire for sweets.  After almost 8 months out and a month or longer stall, I have yet to eat simple carbs or sweets.  Not saying I don't want to but because of the Quest Bars I don't miss junk food that much.

selhard
on 5/1/15 10:03 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I've seen OH'ers label them "demons" calling your name; demons waiting and ready to sabotage.  The good thing is they can be beat back (or conquered) by making good food choices.  Greek yogurt is my new ice cream.  Protein shakes are my new DQ blizzards.  You get the idea.  This is drastic but I will purposely put a poor food choice in my shopping cart and practice putting it back on the shelf.  Someday, I hope to stop feeling the need to practice.  I have less demon-moments as time goes on and think you will, too.

Pokemom
on 5/1/15 11:56 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I like this idea of practice.  I have heard about this somewhere before, and they talked about the neuropathways in our brains being reinforced every time we say "no."  What I find hard, is that with food, there are a gazillion things to have to learn to say "no" to!  But I really appreciated this reminder of practice.  I have been thinking of/working on that a lot lately.

lynnc99
on 5/2/15 4:19 am

There are lots of great recipes out there that will get you through, as the previous poster mentioned. I don't have the websites right in front of me at the moment but do a search for Bariatric Foodie or The World According to Eggface. And I too got an ice cream maker (Osterizer) which does amazing things with Greek yogurt! 

Other quick fixes....

Eat protein. (You knew that one though, right?)

Do something that can absorb your attention. I still claim I will learn to knit! TV or a movie are NOT good options - because that's snacking time. 

Try sugar free jello topped with a little SF cool whip (not a natural foods snack at all I know) - sprinkle a tiny bit of crushed Total flakes or Grape Nuts on top. It is amazingly satisfying - not filling, but gives that illusion of having a dessert. 

Exercise a LOT. I find that if I put my energy toward BURNING calories I am less tempted to EAT high calorie foods.

Best of luck and you are so very wise to come up with strategies before the crisis moment hits!

Cooter N.
on 5/2/15 6:03 am

Thanks to everyone. I guess I am so afraid to get sucked back in to what used to be a crutch. I have tried quest, protein shakes and just will have to keep trying. Thanks again

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

Eggface
on 5/2/15 9:08 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Lots of protein packed "sweets" https://www.pinterest.com/eggface/weight-loss-surgery-desser ts/ for us. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?