Really.... why do you test it?

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/1/15 11:44 pm

I don't think addictions ous the right word. More like a habit, mindless eating, grabing someting to eat because it is there, and you are hungry and there is not much other things. 

Testing waters to see if one dumps or get sick - is stupid.  

But eating something because it there and we think it taste good, it is yummy, even if that may make us sick. It is human.

You got to be MO because you have food addictions? How do you plan to control that, that you could not do before WLS

i wish you luck, and i hope your strong convictions and determination will last very long time. 

At 4 months post op and even after that ~ i was a poster child in following the rules. I found out i dump 10 months post op, when i used 1 cup of milk in my coffee and ate normal, plain, low fat yogurt for breakfast. The sugar in milk and yogurt (not lactose) were way to much for my body. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bubbosmama
on 5/2/15 12:13 am - Canada

Shall we agree to disagree then?  For me sugar addiction is very real.  My reaction to it is the same as getting high coming down and needing to get high again.  For me, and I can only speak for me, it is essential that I plan ahead in order to not allow for myself to get stuck in a situation where I am hungry and without something appropriate for me to eat.  I deal with my addiction by getting counselling for what caused me to seek numbness and highs, and continuing to work on myself, my self worth and to not make excuses for myself when the reality of it is, the food doesn't make me eat it, the choices I make do.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/2/15 1:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 2, 2015 at 3:39 AM Pacific Time, bubbosmama wrote:

I don't think that eating something that you know is extremely harmful to oneself is part of the human condition at all. If a non MO person knew that if they ate a certain food it would have horrible consequences to them, the non MO person would not eat it.  I could go with it is part of the addiction to food, it is a result of unchecked issues etc.  It's like an alcoholic thinking that because they shrunk his liver he can have one drink. 

Oh, I think all humans do things they know will be harmful to themselves, but they do it anyway. Usually it's minor, sometimes not.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

birdiegirl
on 5/1/15 8:00 pm

Hi Bubbo

Sounds like you have your head on re WLS.

Maybe it depends also on people realizing this is their last chance.  There really are no do-overs - this  is it.  I also think a healthy dose of fear the first few months helps to not screw things up.

This isn't like another diet that you can just 'begin again' or try another version.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get it right and go down the path to healthy living. 

We all talk about our tool working many years out - and it certainly does re restriction.  However, if you dont get all of your weight off that first 2 years then you have blown your opportunity for easier weight loss.  This goes for all the surgery choices as diet fatigue sets in and for those with RNY,. we lose most of our malabsorption properties.

WLS is a miracle to me - but its not foolproof.  I just got to even the playing field - then its up to me to keep fighting.

jeterway
on 5/1/15 9:21 pm

This surgery is as much about the head as it is the physical changes that they do to you.  I regularly go to support meetings and we keep stressing the mental component of the surgery but most of the folks don't get it.  Then you see them come back for support at about a year out saying help me, I'm starting to put it back on.  Everyone says its a tool that we have to learn how to use but they just don't get it.  They think that once the weight drops off, they can go back to the things that they used to eat.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/1/15 10:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Truthfully, at 15 months out 100% on plan 100% of the time, you've written what I've thought hundreds of times while shaking my head on these forums...

That said, I try to keep my hubris in check. It wasn't but just 15 months ago that I was the person receiving the head shakes. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

bubbosmama
on 5/1/15 10:32 pm - Canada

Duly noted.  As I have said in my other replies, I have no doubt that I will make mistakes along the way.  I still believe that taking the route of testing your pouch and your resolve is a path that ends in self destruction, and hope that the efforts I have made to deal with issues and surround myself with people who have more experience and insight than I do, will keep the logic in my decision making.

Lily2
on 5/2/15 3:43 am

Just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents worth on a few points you have made.  I am pre op and due to have my surgery in 3 weeks time.  I am also in complete agreement that sugar and processed carbs are an addiction to some people, me being one of them.  I plan on treating my addiction as anyone with addictions would or should to overcome them, with abstinence.  Why test something that I willingly know has lead me to this place?  Am I foolish enough to think the outcome will be any different than it has been my entire life?  Common sense gives me my answers. My future weight loss and maintenance will depend on how diligent I am in maintaining my addiction.  We're not all made the same and most here suffer from the ramifications of various food issues, but for those like myself I MUST acknowledge my demons and face them for the rest of my life.  Drastic?  Absolutely, but it's my fight to win or lose and I for one plan on winning.  Good luck in your journey!

hollykim
on 5/3/15 7:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 2, 2015 at 5:32 AM Pacific Time, bubbosmama wrote:

Duly noted.  As I have said in my other replies, I have no doubt that I will make mistakes along the way.  I still believe that taking the route of testing your pouch and your resolve is a path that ends in self destruction, and hope that the efforts I have made to deal with issues and surround myself with people who have more experience and insight than I do, will keep the logic in my decision making.

Pride goes before a fall...

bubbosmama
on 5/3/15 8:32 am - Canada

Where did you see pride in that?  I don't understand why people purposely gorge on foods to test their pouches, I am aware that I got obese by making bad decisions so I take steps to not do this one.... not because I am too proud but because I know just how fallable I am.  Ignorance is bliss .....

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.