Almost two years out, and I still love my surgeon and his team.

The Salty Hag
on 5/1/15 3:23 am, edited 5/1/15 3:24 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I went in to my surgeon's hospital lab yesterday morning to have my labs drawn for my 2 year post-op appointment. I got a call late last night that one of my levels looked off, and they needed me to come back in ( this morning ) and get a re-draw done. I went in and had my blood work redrawn.

I just got a phone call from my surgeon's nurse that the re-draw looked MUCH better, and that she wasn't exactly sure why the level from the first test was "off the chart, scary" high, but that everything looked perfect today. ( It was my sodium level. She said if the level were truly that high that I'd have been in serious trouble. )

I was a little freaked out, but didn't panic...and I'm relieved that everything turned out to be fine.

I'm VERY glad that the team of doctors, nurses, dieticians, the other support staff, AND the hospital staff as well are all on the ball and still looking out for me.

We all have to be our own, best advocates when it comes to our health, but it's just so nice to have a team of people that care...and make being my own advocate MUCH easier.

Whew!

Edited for those inevitable typos for which I'm so well-known!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

SkinnyScientist
on 5/1/15 5:54 am

It could have been something like a bad vacutainer (i.e. tube that they put blood in). The tube often contains sodium salts of anticoagulants so the techs can work with the blood.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Pokemom
on 5/2/15 12:20 am
RNY on 12/29/14

It really does make a difference to have caring doctors, nurses, etc.  Our current family doctor treats my family "like family," and will call in the evening to discuss results of a lab test.  I think he enjoys the personal connection too.

I suspect you have, but just in case, have you told them how much you appreciate them?  My sister is a surgeon/oncologist.  She works so very hard every day, often 14-hour days, and always 6 days/week, rarely taking vacations.  It means the world to her when someone acknowledges her efforts. 

Also, congratulations on your substantial weight loss, and for continuing to keep it off!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/2/15 1:55 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The tech doing the first draw was eating chips, and contaminated the sample.

Congrats on two years! You kick ass!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.