My NUT sucks - any new foods I can have at 6 weeks?

mute
on 4/27/15 6:36 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I tried to make this for lunch, either having melted mozzarella - since I have had cold - didn't agree or the turkey pepperoni didn't because I got sick about 2 bites into it. So that will be waiting a bit!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Kathyjs
on 4/27/15 1:56 am

I guess I am lucky because for 12 years now I am very protein and carb conscious but could care less if I eat the same thing day after day . I have had an egg white and a slice of cheese for breakfast for years. 

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 6:10 am

I went to my NUT for an appt and I'm just so disappointed in the stuff she's telling me. I argued with her and she doesn't agree. She is telling me that saltines, potatoes and bread are all fine for me to eat right now. I disagree. 

-You would be surprised. I have PCOS. One set of MDs and personal trainers think I should be eating carbs.  Then there is the nutritionist, endocrinologist, and the surgical assistant that recognize a lot of calories can be in carby food and they essentially tell me "Dont listen to the other guys"

Then there is MY experience (which I put the most weight behind). When I eat refined grains (i.e. bread, chips, crackers) I crave more, get hungry, and I gain weight OR my weight loss stalls. If I eat protein forward and keep out the refined carbs, I lose weight and maintain my loss.

Clearly one way of eating works for me and another way doesnt. I after being on low fat high carb diets since puberty (i.e. around 20 years) I cam going to try a different way of eating. And since it works, I will stick with it.

In my job, I have seen that just because someone has a degree doesnt make them an expert in everything and correct all the time...

But seriously, the salt on the saltines may be enough to bloat you and hide any weight loss. I also had to cut back on pickles for the same reason.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

mute
on 4/27/15 6:41 am
RNY on 03/23/15

It's not so much that I'm bored with food, I have enough to rotate now since I got great input here a few weeks ago. It's more I'd like some solid foods to try and I'd like some portable foods. Yesterday I went to meet my Mom for our pedicures and it's a 2 hour round trip. I brought my water with me of course, but I spent 3 hours with her so I was very hungry and I didn't want to go eat anything either since I'm still avoiding restaurants. Normally in that situation I would have just grabbed a granola bar. But I don't have a single thing I'm eating right now that's not refrigerated or hard to eat (tuna). So portable would be great!

Melinda

Maria27
on 4/27/15 9:02 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Portable is tough. I usually bring a lunchbox with an ice pack so I can have cold things to eat. The one thing I have been eating that is fine without refrigeration for a few hours is eggface's protein muffins. They are a little dry, but I haven't had trouble eating them. I should be approved for nuts and seeds at my appointment on Wednesday, so I plan on trying those later this week. My plan doesn't have anymore restrictions after 6 weeks.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Molly7689
on 4/28/15 8:28 am

Could you bring a lunch box with an ice pack? I'm on the road a lolot of for work and find that I can munch on cheese slices/sticks and deli meat very easily on the go. 

Semaenlightened
on 4/27/15 8:03 am
RNY on 03/25/15

I have been eating tuna salad, chicken salad and egg salad without mayo.  I use two teaspoonst of smooth hummus with a teaspoon of guldens spicy brown mustard.  I find it to be delicious!!

robinreinhardt
on 4/28/15 9:07 am

Hi Melinda,

Happy to see you here again. You are right on. Crackers, pasta, etc. are a no no if you want to keep loosing weight. Stick with what you are doing as far as protein. You seem to know what is right. I'm 4 months out and I still have 3 protein drinks a day and 1/2 cup meat, chicken etc. Have you found a protein drink that you like? Have you tried walking? As soon as you are ready you need to walk or some kind of working out. You're only 6 weeks out so start out slow. I am up to 50 minutes a day, and it really helps me loose weight. Keep up the good work and stay away from carbs. 

Bless you,

Robin

mute
on 4/28/15 9:41 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Hi Robin, 

i I drink a protein shake a day. Either one make or one I buy. I'm not super fond of either anymore but I haven't found anything else that I like better. 

I'm starting a class at the Y next Monday, so we'll see how that goes. It's twice a week, it's a beginner class and nothing too intense. But hopefully I enjoy it. 

Melinda

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views