Woke up with a stifling cold 7 days before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/15 12:43 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Does anyone know if this will delay my surgery at all? I already sent an email to my clinic but am nervous waiting to hear back. A delay would not be good -- my mom has a plane ticket already to fly out for my surgery, and I'm within a few pounds of disqualifying myself from dropping my BMI too low. 7 days is plenty for the bulk of a cold to run its course, right??

Ocalasam
on 4/27/15 12:55 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Colds typically only last a few days.  You might want to see your GP and see if you need antibiotics to knock it out, but you should be fine in 7 days.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Drink lots of fluids!

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/15 2:05 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, I'll keep up on the fluids! Antibiotics won't do anything unless I develop a secondary sinus or ear infection, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if the flu earlier this year didn't cause one, this won't either.

NYMom222
on 4/27/15 1:39 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Last time I had a cold I bought those Zicam melt tablets and I really think they made it peak quicker. I also use simply saline or something like that, I find it helps to clear things out, temporarily anyway and give you some relief. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/15 2:06 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, I'll get some saline spray! I have a sinus rinse kit at home too. I'm sure my immune system was compromised because I've been so worried, but now I just have something new to worry about.

Kathyjs
on 4/27/15 1:49 am

If your BMI was high enough to qualify you for surgery, that's what they go by . I understand I lost 35 preop. I swear by cold eze. Drink lots of fluids you will be fine 

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/15 2:08 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, but unfortunately my insurance's ultimate determination of whether they'll pay is based on your weight in a hospital gown immediately before surgery. They've apparently had people with my insurance get authorized, check in for surgery, then had to send them right back home because they lost too much pre-op! And now I'm on Sudafed too which kills my appetite. As long as there's no delay I should be fine, but I didn't need something else to worry about.

brandycain
on 4/27/15 2:14 am

This happened to me too.  six days before my surgery.  They told me that I should postone it if I was sick at all and that I can't have a fever 24 hours before.   they said I want to be the best that I can, so I can heal quickly.  They also had my primary doctor prescribe me a three day maintenance dose of antibiotics just to be safe.  I was so scared I wouldn't get my surgery.  But I recovered just in time.  I still had a cough but was able to have my surgery.  Ready lots and drink lots of fluids.  Good lucK!

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/15 2:20 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for sharing that, that makes me feel a lot better. I'm glad you recovered just in time! I started coming down with a sore throat Thursday but didn't feel really "sick" until today. No fever so far. The cough is the only part I'm afraid of, the rest isn't so bad. I go to my last pre-op class tomorrow, and I'll ask the PA for her advice.

Corrie33
on 4/27/15 9:00 am
RNY on 02/09/15

One of the girls in my class got a cold about a week before surgery, but because she was still coughing on the day of surgery, the anesthesiologist and the surgeon agreed, it was too dangerous to put her under.  She was delayed SIX weeks because of that. 

Funny thing is, that she was then scheduled on the same day as me, and I had JUST started with cold symptoms 2 days before (sore throat, stuffy nose)... but because I hadn't started coughing yet, they approved me (whew!).  I suffered in the hospital, because that's when I started coughing, and man!  It HURT to cough!  And my recovery was MUCH longer than the girl that went on the same day as me.  However, it all turned out okay in the end.

So, keep those things in mind... it might be better to reschedule???

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 478 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 388 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 399 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 222 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Recent Topics