Curious to know

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 5:55 am

sigh. Yep.

And if one doesnt have their head in the game, the tastebuds still think it tastes as good and one will still get a craving for it!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Ocalasam
on 4/27/15 1:40 am
RNY on 12/18/12

My friends that have had significant regain (not all of their weight was regained but a significant amount) eat junk all day and drink with their meals.  They eat candy and carbs and basically eat all day long, but not large portions.  It is so easy for calories to add up even if you eat the right foods.  If you eat the wrong foods you will definitely gain.  Think about it, soda, chips, candy, ice cream...several small servings of these throughout the day would be a ton of calories.  Your pouch probably won't stretch to a much larger size, not like your remnant stomach, but if you graze and drink with your meals, it's going to catch up with you quickly.  I think it would be pretty hard to actually stretch out your pouch.  Although, when I watch my 600 pound life and see some of those people eat fairly large portions and lots of bad foods, I am kind of amazed.  It wouldn't be physically possible for me to eat like that without significant pain and discomfort.  Maybe all pouches are not created equal???

NYMom222
on 4/27/15 1:53 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I wonder about that too sometimes on the 600lb life... maybe he does make their pouches larger... although he always says he is making it the size of an egg when he explains it to them...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kathyjs
on 4/27/15 2:00 am

I think I understand your question right. Yes it is very hard to eat a lot at one sitting. But you could eat hour later, another hour later etc. This is how you can gain 

Patm
on 4/27/15 4:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Unfortunately yes. Grazing is a really bad habit to get into.

Gina 22 years out
on 4/28/15 3:14 am - Burleson, TX

PAT--and sometimes the grazing is what gets a person to 340 lbs in the FIRST place...I. AM..and have always BEEN..a GRAZER...never did I eat large amounts of food at ONE time...it was bits of food...one meal, a day...ALL DAY LONG...I fight the grazing monster NOW, even with my "healthy" choices...that's where the therapy/brain power comes in

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Suzysings
on 4/27/15 2:13 am - Woodstock, IL

I have known patients who gained all of their weight back by going back to eating high fat, high sugar, slider foods. Such as cookies, candy, ice cream, Cheetos, chips, crackers, cheese and more.  Even though we can only eat a small amount at one time if one grazes all day, you can still take in a huge amount of calories.

May 2007 Lapband: Wt 210
May 2009 Lapband removal Wt 149
June 2010 Sleeve: Wt 171
Goal Wt: 136
Ladytazz
on 4/27/15 4:46 am

I knew someone who had their entire stomach removed and still gained 100 lbs.  When there is a will there is a way.

As others have said, not only does the pouch stretch, which to my understanding isn't that much, but the stoma stretches and food just passes right through.

Also, drinking with meals helps push the food along and makes room for more food.

I failed my first WLS and regained 100 lbs.  It was almost like I was deliberately sabotaging myself.  I dared myself to eat as much as possible, as often as possible.

That is because I was addressing an emotional problem, for me, which was compulsive overeating, with a physical solution.

For me I had to do both, deal with my emotional reasons for eating destructively, and to get help with not being so hungry and being able to be satisfied with a small amount of food.

Once I started doing those things together it came together and I've been able to keep the weight off, at least to this point.

No illusions that this is permanent.  I have regained too much weight too many times to ever think I have it handled.

I have to address the physical part, what I eat and how much, with the emotional part which is why I want to eat in a way that ultimately leads me back to morbid obesity.

It is a puzzle that I may never find the answer to but at least I am aware of the problem and doing my best to deal with it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 5:58 am

True!

And you wouldnt believe the number of colleagues that I have that say "Oh. You wont regain the weight."

If one eats junk food, all day,even if it is slowly, one WILL consumer too many calories.

Sometimes measuring/using my small bowls to keep portion sizes in check doesnt bug me.

But today it does.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

vickymarsolais
on 4/27/15 3:07 pm

Ladytazz, I have the same problem with sabotaging myself.  How are you handling it?  Did you seek professional help or what do you tell yourself to stop doing it? I am constantly hungry and eat until I'm stuffed.  Any information you can supply will be appreciated.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.