Curious to know

Mary Gee
on 4/27/15 1:23 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Golly gee.......I'm so embarrassed!!    Why do I look in the mirror and see a fat face, why does the waistband of my pants get tight when I gain weight, why can't I button the top button of a blouse when I get fat, why do rings get tight, and shoes?  What is it?  I feel as dumb as a toddler.    So kind......... 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/15 1:36 am, edited 4/27/15 2:10 am

really? you had a bad day or something? decarbing?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gina 22 years out
on 4/27/15 12:55 am - Burleson, TX

MARY-will you pls hook LILY up, with an invite to a mature forum, where she can get non patronizing answers, to her sincere questions? I can't do it, from my phone.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

NYMom222
on 4/26/15 4:23 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I would think people regain by grazing and eating the wrong types of food. Not everyone dumps... so if you ate a cup of ice cream rather than a cup of yogurt ....may take up the same volume in your pouch, but it is not going to have the same effect on your weight loss... The pouch can stretch, there is a natural stretching that occurs, and I guess you could overeat and stretch it more than that, but it will never return to it's original size.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Lily2
on 4/26/15 11:16 pm

Thanks, for some reason I am picturing two stomachs and wasn't exactly sure how that could be possible.

rocky513
on 4/26/15 10:22 pm - WI

In addition to what others have said, at the end of your pouch is an opening called a stoma.  The stoma is where the pouch attaches to the intestines.  Constant overeating and drinking with meals can stretch the stoma to the point where it is the same size as the pouch.  At that point, the food slides right through the pouch and into the intestines and you never feel a sense of fullness. You will constantly feel hungry and will be able to eat A LOT of food.

Choosing the right foods and following the rules your surgeon gives is what keeps you thin.  Grazing is usually the way weight is regained.  If you eat little bites all day long and you choose unhealthy food, you can eat thousands of calories in a day.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Lily2
on 4/26/15 11:12 pm

So the pouch never really turns into another stomach persay, but the stoma is what could be effected.  For some reason I'm picturing two large stomachs inside a person.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/26/15 11:24 pm

NO. What it turns into is something like ONE BIG INTESTINE>

The issue you should be focusing on is, once that happens you will NEVER FEEL FULL. That lack of satiety may drive you to eat.

I had hormonal issues and I never felt full. I could eat to the point of fullness and an hour later be hungry again. THIS is what carbs do to me. Constantly feeling hungry, leads to constant thoughts about foods, looking at receipieces, eating and weight gain.

Chew your food well.

Eat over the prescribed time period (i.e. 30 minutes)

Dont drink wiht your meals.

And YES you can regain all the WEIGHT and even more. Your intestiens grow more dense villi to absorb the calories after bypass. Your body is working had to keep you MO.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/27/15 10:26 am - OH

Even if the pouch could become as big as the natural stomach (which it can't), your remnant stomach is no longer in use at all after the RNY... So it doesn't contribute at all to how much you can eat (and it actually decreases a bit in size because of disuse).

As Rocky said, people regain by grazing, flat out eating too much, or eating foods that are too high in calories or have too many carbs.  Just like before surgery.  All the RNY guarantees is a permanently smaller pouch than stomach. Once people are more tha. A year or so out, though, it is easy to "out eat" the pouch.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lynnc99
on 4/26/15 11:15 pm

This is a very non-scientific explanation...others can probably say it in a more technically correct way. It has to do with the absorption of calories from foods we eat. 

Initially, what helps us lose weight in our honeymoon period is a combination of restriction from the small punch and malabsorption of calories.

Over time, our body begins to absorb calories again. And if we eat a lot of calories our body absorbs them. And we gain weight. Unchecked, we can gain a LOT of weight back. 

So if we graze, we bypass the "restriction" part by eating a little at a time, but eating continually...and we put in a lot of calories.

And if we eat junk food...we put in a lot of calories.

And if we eat slider foods like crackers and chips...we put in a lot of calories.

And we can regain a lot of weight that way. 

So losing the weight? Yeah, it's work but we can do it. Keeping the weight off? That, my friend, is the war. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.