the big question, am I failing? 1yr 8m

Kathyjs
on 4/27/15 2:11 am

I can so relate. I gained back 10 and then my body seemed happy and I maintained and continue to 12 years later. If you are doing what you should. You will be fine 

Ms_Silly
on 4/27/15 2:35 am

I've already started today with less carbs in my lunch bag.  Ill eat tonight's crock pot meal without the brown rice.  I'm interested in seeing how my weight will change over the course of the next few weeks.  My weight this morning was 158.5 (sad face) (Sigh). But anyways you are all totally right.  Thank you for the responses.  This is the beginning of my maintenance and im just feeling the pressure.  wish me luck!  

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 6:15 am

HI! Somoene on here told me about ricing caulflower. It works well. basicallically, clean a head of cauli...stick the florets in teh blender. Blend till rice like in texture. Stick in a covered microwaVE SAfe dish. Nuke for 3-4 minutes. use in place of rice.

I love it. 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 6:13 am

I don't know what to do.  I want to maintain a healthy weight.  

- Hi Friend. I have nothing to offer but sympathy. I am a year and 4 months out and I have to be so concious to fight regain with every meal!  Basically I understand your fears. I have them too.

Also, consider weight lifting.  A personal trainer told me that cardio and low calorie diets will get you skinny, lifting weights will get you LEAN.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

lynnc99
on 4/27/15 11:44 am

So there's a lot going on that is RIGHT here. Let me respond to 2 points.

First - you're absolutely correct to be concerned about these few pounds of regain. I knew when my weight crept from 155 to 158 that I had to be careful but I didn't know quite what to do. Now I am in the process of losing more significant regain - my weight had "crept" to 191! Yikes! Today I am at 166-167 and working on that last 10 lbs. 

Second - yes, your food intake as you present it here is high in carbs. It's healthy food, but carb laden and that will make a difference. My idea of the "best carb on earth" is a plain baked sweet potato but I only have one a couple of times a week, and never on the same day as a banana for example. I eat no cereals (hot or cold), no refined carbs, etc. They do indeed add up fast!

My two cents worth on exercise - it's well documented that those who exercise maintain a higher base metabolic rate than those who do not. And I can attest that when I exercised (note the past tense! that's part of the regain story for me...) my thighs were truly toned. I liked them for the first time in my life. Stop exercising? Looks like I have rocks in my yoga pants those thighs are so lumpy. :-( I commend you for finding a combination of exercise options that you enjoy and would simply say that doing SOMETHING every day is the key. Not an insane amount, but SOMETHING. Walk a few miles, run some stairs, take a class, do some yoga...whatever. Truly you are right on track in this area IMHO!

And now, that "overweight" category according to BMI. There are a lot of variables that BMI does NOT account for. At my best weight of 150-155, my BMI is still "overweight". I am 5'4 and almost 60 years old. But at that weight I made a few key observations. I had no butt to speak of. I wore size S tops and size 6 pants. My face and neck were as thin as I wanted them to be. So that weight is a great place for me to be - BMI be damned! 

As I have fought the regain battle (because maintaining is the war!) I have worked with a nutritionist again and here is what I eat, just for a simple outline:

Lean protein or eggs - 2 or 3 servings a day

Starch - 1 serving a day (I am allowed 2 but only do that in unusual cir****tances)

Veggies - 2-3 servings a day

Fruit - 1 serving a day (again, I can have 2 but hold to 1 most days. And a fruit = 1/2 banana or 1/2 medium apple - so modest portions are key)

Dairy - 1 serving per day but I opt not no use dairy

Protein shake - 1 per day with a calorie max of 120 per serving. I use Quest or Teras protein powder which give at least 15-20 gm of concentrated protein. 

Fat - 2 servings/day 

I also recommend using My Fitness Pal app to log your food and analyze what's really going on. You'll find a terrific database of foods, easy to adjust portion sizes, a daily graph of fat/protein/carb consumption, and a breakout of calories/fat/sodium/protein/carbs/other key nutrients. 

Longer than I'd planned to type but hope you gain a bit from my experience! Best to you!

Ms_Silly
on 4/28/15 1:53 am

I was proud of myself yesterday,  I stayed under 100 carbs and forced myself to work out. Today will be even better :)

one thing I've been told to do is subtract fiber grams from my carbs. I have not done this because I didn't want to be misguided.  What do yall think? 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.