pre-op diet and the jitters

sunshine57
on 4/22/15 12:25 pm

Just finished my 2nd day of my pre-op food plan, and I'm miserable. I am totally committed to my plan, but I am having such a hard time with the shakes and shivers.I am diabetic and I can't seem to keep my blood sugar in check. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Poodlemac
on 4/22/15 1:12 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I would try eating a lifesaver or something small. Though I will admit, I was terrible at managing my diabetes. 

sunshine57
on 4/22/15 1:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.i am going to stop in at the nutritionist in the morning and see if she can change my pre-op to be diabetic friendly.

mornings
on 4/22/15 10:09 pm - Canada

when I had a hard time on my first pre op diet  , they allowed me one small bowl of lettuce with alittle vinger for taste ,   and trust me it helped ,  so maybe speak to your nurse and explain your  problems and perhaps ask if you would be allowed this as well only at times  your  feeling not so good .... I do hope it helps  as im going for revision  may 26th and I got permission already durning my pre op to have lettuce again 

chulbert
on 4/22/15 10:23 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

What is your pre-op food plan?  All the ones I've seen have seemed like they would be diabetic-friendly.  They tend to be specifically low-carb in order to deplete glycogen reserves and shrink the liver.

Tombocom
on 4/23/15 1:06 am
RNY on 04/28/15

I start my Pre-Op on Sunday (4/26).  You get food??? Holy crap (pun intended, read on and see why!).  Starting Sunday morning, I am allowed a protein shake twice a day, made with water only and have to do the dreaded laxative goodness early that morning so the GI tract is clean as a whistle for the surgery Tuesday morning.  

I'm type 2, so I understand the importance of keeping our sugars in check.  With the shakes and shivers you mention, I assume you're going low?  I get the same things when I did, all those years ago.  Some fruit juice or a piece of candy should help.

Please check with your Nutritionist and see what's going on.

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/15 3:40 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I started my pre-op diet this past Monday and definitely feel your pain! I'm limited to a 1-page list of foods I can eat, with less of an emphasis on quantity, but I'm still hungry all the time because there's only so much cottage cheese a person can eat! I've had the same blood sugar issues too -- first day of the diet, I was at 60 before dinner, which is way low for me. Have you called your primary doc or endocrinologist if you have one? Mine wants me to call back if I get another reading that low, but otherwise to hold tight and says I probably won't need my diabetes meds after surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Recent Topics