Do u ever introduce pasta back into your diet?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 11:41 am - OH

I very occasionally eat just a couple of bites of pasta, but I am closing in on 8 years out.  I was about 2 years out before I had any.  It is just empty carbs and takes up a lot of valuable space that you need for protein, even once you are much farther out, and as already pointed out, can make you crave other carbs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/15 11:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Pasta is just a bad idea. I haven't touched it in three years, and don't miss it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 4/21/15 11:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I have had a few bites of pasta, mostly when I was at someone's house, honestly they weren't that enjoyable. I have made Lasagne twice when I had company, and did have some. I feel like that is easier to eat less pasta and more of the inside. One of my favorite foods is pizza - I live in NY we live on pizza. I have had 2 slices since my surgery. pretty amazing to me actually. I don't look at it as never, just rarely. You have to know your trigger foods. I see on here people buying Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches or things like that. I can't have that in my house I would eat them 2 at a time until they were gone.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/15 12:55 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thank you for posting this, because I was just wondering the same thing and it's enlightening to see the vets' responses. I see so many people on here saying they choose to not eat pasta or bread again, but my NUT's plan allows it at 6+ months post-op (just with the recommendation that pasta be cooked well and bread be toasted). Personally, if I can break my addiction to the carb monster, I don't know if I'll want to add it back in -- eating just a couple bites very rarely seems like a good compromise, but I'm terrified refined carbs will throw open the flood gates of overeating just like they do for me pre-op. I do think it's telling though that so many of the vets who maintain at goal long-term so often choose to not add bread and pasta back into their diets.

oneuppr1
on 4/21/15 1:12 pm

the only carbs i eat are, a occational piece of pizza, and 4 half pretzel sticks, not the full size ones mind you the half size. 4 is enough to kill the what lil carb craveings i have. other than that i dont even think about pasta, just the thought of it makes my pouch squirm. 

hl1524
on 4/21/15 8:47 pm - Austin, TX

Perhaps you can find a good substitution. I use zucchini cut into thin strips for lasagna. There are also tofu noodles that I have eaten occasionally. They are not the same as pasta but it is a great alternative if you are really craving something similar. Sometimes it's a matter of finding something you love and making it healthier - however sometimes it's about missing what pasta used to do for you. Make sure you aren't trying to fill a void. 

RNY 8/27/2014

chulbert
on 4/21/15 10:01 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It seems pretty clear that pasta is a trigger food for you so I recommend against it.  One must always proceed with caution when it comes to trigger foods -- it's why I don't keep tortilla chips in the house.

Pasta is not a trigger food for me but it's also not a superior choice so I rarely eat it.  However, I also won't explode like a vampire in sunlight if I'm a dinner guest at someone's house and they set a plate of spaghetti in front of me.

selhard
on 4/21/15 11:00 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My guess is, you'll love your new lifestyle so much, pasta will become less and less of a temptation over time!  I don't miss pasta for which I am very thankful for.  I have eaten pasta--it didn't sit well for which I am doubly thankful for.  Friendly warning:  most meatball recipes have either bread or crackercrumbs in them (

siberiancat
on 4/21/15 11:31 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Personally, I find anything with white flour, white sugar, or white rice to be a trigger food for me.  I do make gluten free lasagna once a year for family gathering and add lots of meat, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and mozerella cheese.  I dig out the meat and cheese and let the pasta on my plate.

My general rule of protein first, then veggies, fruit - then IF pouch has room - carbs.  This seems to work for me.

Knowing the "white" carbs are a slippery slope for ME - I avoid them.  I've worked hard these last 6 years since my RNY and never want to be overweight - let alone morbidly obese again.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Han Shot First
on 4/22/15 12:32 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm surprised that I don't have more cravings for pasta and bread, and I'm very grateful for it.  Now that I'm at the point where nothing upsets my pouch, I'm really worried about having stuff like that.  Since I'm still losing, I stay away from it, and I can't see myself reintroducing it unless I go too low and need to put on some weight.  I know how hard that was.  I had to eat at an Olive Garden, and there is almost nothing worth having there.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 478 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 388 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 399 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 222 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?