Im at a normal weight, but why do I still have a belly?

Cheryl N.
on 4/21/15 6:20 am - Des Moines, WA

I don't feel very skinny, but I'm often told I look normal, etc. but I still have lots of skin around my stomach so I still feel like I'm fat...not flat stomach at all.  Can't really tell that with clothes on, but I still have some back fat but not as bad as 125 pounds ago. 

Just venting.   Thanks! 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/21/15 6:33 am

Ok..I can argue this both ways

First- the understanding way. I am right there with you sister. I still have fat thighs. They are starting to have hanging skin but when I grab the excess skin, there is still excess fat in there you can feel. It is dense and gross!  Same with a little bit of excess skin on my upper abs (the only person who notices is me. It makes me look "untoned" but trust me...i am in abs class a LOT.

Second-the scientific way.  Women need 10-13% body fat for essential body fat to produce horomones and bear young. Yours is apparently hanging out on your back and around your stomach. Mine is on my thighs. This is where our bodies picked to store the fat. The alternative is too not have periods and need to have our hormones supplemented by patch.

Third way- Are you sure it is FAT. You said it was skin in the post but I equate belly with fat.  If it is excess skin, you know the answer. The skin didnt shrink with you. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt.  Have you maintained your weight for a year?  Has it gotten better with time if you have been mainting?  If you have been maintainging, you may need to see a plastic surgeon if it bugs you (this is my plan of action for when I get out of debt and have maintained my weight for TWO years). Also, it took time to reach our highest most obese point.  The skin had to stretch over this time. I think it is reasonable to give it "some time" to try to shrink down.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 383 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 397 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 220 views