Vitamin D-3 to high

myspanisheyes
on 4/21/15 5:25 am - TX

Good afternoon everyone,

My blood work for Vitamin D-3 test came back at 127. My doctor freaked out. She told me to stop taking Vitamin D-3 since it was toxic at a high dose. She knows I had RNY Dec. of 2010 and like to stay just under 100. I did stop taking the 50,000 dry by vitalady for one week. I was taking 50,000 3 times a week and was able to maintain at 98. I don't know what happened that it registered 127.

I would like to start taking it again before it get to low. Should I just take it Twice a week or once a week instead of 3 times a week.  

If the Vitamin Guru's are still out there, will you please advice. It has been a very long time since I've been on the site myself.

Thanks for you response,

Sincerely,

Rosemary

NYMom222
on 4/21/15 6:15 am
RNY on 07/23/14

That is high... I just got back from the doc myself and my Vit D is up to 50. And I was ecstatic.  About 6 months ago I finally started taking liquid vitamin D, 5,000mg a day... prior to that I was always deficient. I would say try the twice a week for a month and take your bloodwork again. Ask the doc for a script because of the high D and see where you are at. Can I ask why you try and keep it so high?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/21/15 7:26 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I keep my vitamin D3 levels between 80 and 100 -- and just recently I went a bit too high at 105.  Since then, I have lowered my D3 supplementation from 5000 IU daily to 3x per week.

127 is a bit high, but you aren't actually toxi****il you go over 150.  Still, I would try to get my levels back down to the 80 to 100 range since having D too high can have some nasty side effects.  Still, I wouldn't be "freaked out" like your doctor at this point, but I would lower my dose and retest in 3 months to assure that you are at good level.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ShebasMom
on 4/21/15 11:26 am, edited 4/21/15 11:28 am
Revision on 07/05/16

My vitamin D was 205 after taking 50K daily for 6 weeks. ( bad advice from some vets on OH). I stopped taking it as doctor requested. After 2 months, it was down to 103. I began taking 20k weekly and had my levels were checked every 6 weeks. With each lab check, I increased the weekly dose by 10K. (It bottomed out at 47).  When my level was in the 60's, the labs frequency decreased to every 3 months and then routine every 6 months.  It took me over a year to get my level at 80 and now I am taking 90k weekly. My level last month was 88.

My suggestion is to follow your doctor's advice. Ask, her if she will recheck your level in 4 weeks. If your level is >60, ask if you can restart 2- 50K dose weekly. If it is < 60, ask if you restart 125k weekly. Either way, ask for a follow up level check in 6 weeks. Then you can adjust your dose again, but please ask your doctor. 

Donna

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

ShebasMom
on 4/21/15 11:39 am
Revision on 07/05/16

If you don't feel comfortable stopping your Vit D for 4 weeks, ask your MD if you can reduce it to 125k weekly after stopping it for 2 weeks, and a level check in 3 months.  

Donna

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 11:38 am - OH

I definitely wouldn't just stop taking it completely unless your doctor is going to repeat the test in 2-3 months! Our levels can drop very rapidly (and that is the part that most doctors don't seem to understand).  It likely increased just because of a gradual build-up over time.  The 3x a week is probably just a little too much.

FWIW, when mine got too high on the 50,000 3x/week (it was 124 and my PCP also freaked out), I cut back to twice a week and we re-checked in 6 months.  I let him know that I wasn't at all comfortable with just stopping it for any extended period of time. We compromised.  I skipped all doses for a week and then went or once per week as he suggested, but I did that just for a couple of weeks because I knew that wasn't going to be enough, so I went to twice a week in my own (and only told him when we repeated the lab.  

I am NOT recommending that you decide on your own, though.  I would talk to your doctor and make sure that she understands that our levels can drop drustic ally in just a couple of months and see if you can agree on a reduced dose and re-test schedule.  (Sometimes insurance gets nasty about re-checking Vit D because it so an expensive test, BTW.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ShebasMom
on 4/21/15 11:43 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Hi Lora!

Where do you buy your vit K and which type of k is it?  

Donna

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 1:34 pm - OH

I don't take any Vit K because even though my level is a little low, I take blood thinner and Vit K counteracts that... So we just leave my levels low.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 4/22/15 1:32 am - OH

127 isn't a toxic level, at least not according to the Linus Pauling Institute and the Vitamin D Council.  It would be OK to be a little lower but it's not harmful at 127.

What I would do is cut back to twice a week.  I wouldn't stop taking it altogether personally.  I don't want to be deficient, and like I said, 127 isn't toxic according to many sources.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

myspanisheyes
on 4/24/15 1:28 am - TX

Thank you all so very much for your response. I saw my Dr. yesterday and told her I stopped it for a week and would start using it twice a week again. My insurance will not cover the test until May! I will retest then and adjust it accordingly. I don't want to go lower than 80, either. Since then, I remembered that  I was forgetting to take my AM pills and used my backup pills I carry in my purse for times like these. I had added the 50,000 to that backup before and must have taken it a little to often. I'm a school teacher and have to be at work by 6:35 to watch the students that are dropped off at 6:30 AM. I do have trouble going to sleep sometimes. I also suffer from chronic fatigue. Those nights that I can't sleep have caused me to wakeup later than 4:45 AM (my usual time) and run out the door with the protein shake in hand and no pills. I don't add the 50,000 D-3 to my spare ones anymore.  So glad we have each other's support system! 

Blessings to all!

Rosemary

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?