What to take for Arthritis?

Denise B.
on 4/20/15 10:50 am - Binghamton, NY

Curious question to those with severe arthritis.  What are you taking to help with mobility?

Have been doing the natural route, turmeric and ginger for the inflammation.  Know the NSAIDs are an issue is that forever with those who have had the RNY?  I am 5.5 years out.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Get a dream, make it yours, and let no one steal it!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highest weight 285, day of surgery 265, current weight 209, and holding steady.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/20/15 11:23 am

Acupuncture works for me. Plus some herbal anti inflamatory capsules. Plus fish oil. 

I heard things like that is good. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Denise B.
on 4/21/15 10:28 am - Binghamton, NY

Acupuncture

Acupuncture is a route I never thought of.  Might have to look into it.  Thank you for our response.

angel91e
on 4/20/15 1:53 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

My dr recommends voltaren cream and it helps a lot but here is the catch it is an NSAID cream so some dr aren't ok with it post RNY but since it is topical and so therefore does not go through the digestive tract my dr is ok with it.  It's a dr to dr choice but thought I'd at least throw it out there. I've needed knee replacements for awhile that I'd like to put off for as long as possible but we all have to evaluate our own levels of acceptable risk.

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Denise B.
on 4/21/15 10:18 am - Binghamton, NY

Thank you for your response, I should call my doctor that did the surgery to ask. I did forget to mention I have 2 "after market" parts, left knee and right hip replacement. It is my back that is the issue.  Don't wait too long for the knee replacement will be the best thing you could do.  Good luck.  Denise

Semaenlightened
on 4/20/15 2:02 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

What about gabapentin?  I dont have severe arthritis but have arthritic spurs and a two completely ruptured discs leaving the vertabrae rubbing together.  I am just three weeks out of surgery and not yet healthy enough for the surgical intervention needed for my back...in the meantime I am taking tylenol w/ codeine 2 times a day (which can cause constipation) but I also have a script for gabapentin, I am just nervous to start it...but all the docs are saying it should really help.

Denise B.
on 4/21/15 10:21 am - Binghamton, NY

Have not heard of this drug, will have to do some research on it.  Thank you for your reply.

siberiancat
on 4/20/15 11:44 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I take Curcumin (Tumeric) capsules twice a day, also MSN, Glucosamine, Coconut Oil - all supplements.  I also use Young Living Essential Oils for pain.  There are some homeopathic remedies for joint pain that I let melt under my tongue.  They are Latin names and I can't remember them - just go in a natural grocery or health store and find them in their health section.

I've had ulcers so won't risk any NSAIDs.  I also keep active and keep my weight at goal to lessen the stress on my joints.

The above is working for me these last 6 years since my RNY.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

christinerocks
on 4/21/15 2:05 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Penny, I am about to try curcumin supplements - though I expect I won't feel a lot of relief until I get closer to goal I thought I would try them.  How long have you been taking them?  

Cheers,

Christine

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

siberiancat
on 4/21/15 5:06 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Maybe 3 years.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views