What's they don't tell you about post op...

Capogirl
on 4/25/15 1:41 am

I had my surgery on April 20.   Our meals were pretty much the same; hot tea, hot broth and jello, I could manage half a cup of tea, maybe a spoonful or two of the broth and a spoonful or two of the jello.  On the release day, we had tea, carnation protein drink for breakfast and lunch, there was also jello, but I didn't touch it.  I drank mostly the protein drink and a little tea. 

I have yet to feel hungry.  I have yet to eat the amount of food that my plan calls for, and I certainly cannot drink 8 oz of water in half an hour; but I sip all day.  I make sure to drink a protein shake for one meal, some broth for another about a quarter cup is all I can manage and either yogurt or cottage cheese.    I have yet to weight myself as I know I am still full of fluid and gas. 

Walking has definitely helped with the gas and so have the gas X strips that melt on your tongue. My advice is to wait to weigh yourself until you are feeling like the gas and fluid are gone.  

Missmandy24
on 4/25/15 2:12 am

Yeah. It was a real frustrating few days but I feel like I have turned a corner. I sip water all day long. And I drink one protien shake which takes at least two hours to get down. Then I have pea soup for lunch. And dinner I had broth. I made a pudding protien powder pb2 liquids treat but barely ate anything. The amount they want you to get in is daunting. I have a hard time getting in the protien I need. They said 60-80 and I drink my shake which is 30. But then the servings of the soups and pudding barely put a dent in the rest because I can't take very much. (I litterally can eat 2 tbls and be full). I am gonna try to do 2 shakes today but when I tried that the other day I felt so ughhhh about the 2nd one. I just keep trying. 

christinerocks
on 4/25/15 2:26 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

HI MissMandy,

My program had me mix a very concentrated version of my protein shake:  basically 3oz with at least 20 g of protein in it.  You have to look at your shake mix and figure out how much to add.  My shake is 27g for 2 scoops, so I would mix up 1.5 scoops (20.5 g of protein) with 3 oz milk in my small magic bullet cup, or a shaker cup.  This concoction isn't horrible but will get very thick very fast.  Eat it with a spoon.  Less volume so hopefully this will help you get the protein in while also getting in your water/fluids.  

Keep plugging. 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 478 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 388 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 399 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 222 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Recent Topics