Protein shakes- good or bad?

jenorama
on 4/18/15 2:47 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

On the pudding mix, I'm assuming sugar free/fat free and only a couple of teaspoons, correct? When I was on a shake-based non-surgical weight loss program, I used a tablespoon with my shake of the SF/FF. Chocolate and butterscotch was a pretty good combo. These days I don't add any extra to my breakfast shake. 

Right now it's almost physically impossible for you to eat over your calories, but make sure you aren't accident taking in more with liquids than you are intending to. :D

Jen

mute
on 4/19/15 12:12 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Yep it's just a teaspoon and its sugar free and fat free!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

cpower100
on 4/18/15 9:34 pm

Just a thought... Maybe switch out the almond milk for skim milk bc skim milk has much more protein than almond milk.  I have also been using a fairly new product called Fairlife skim milk which has 13 gm protein per 8oz and it tastes great.  Just another way to boost the protein when making the shake.

mute
on 4/19/15 12:13 am
RNY on 03/23/15

This is funny because I literally just bought this yesterday morning lol. I hadn't seen it at my grocery store yet but it was there yesterday. Trying it today in my shake. 

Melinda

hollykim
on 4/18/15 11:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

that shake shouldn't be a problem. This is a situation where ,*I*, personally,would disregard that advice of the NUT. 

NYMom222
on 4/18/15 1:56 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I drink a shake everyday. I would never get in all the protein without it. It is not slowing your weight loss down. At one month out how many calories could you be eating? You have lost 17lbs in 'almost' a month. How is that losing slow? I lost less weight in the first month than I did the second month. Everyone is different. Just stick with the program and it will happen.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

auntmimi
on 4/20/15 3:27 am

I am one year out and I still drink my protein shakes. Have you tried any of the Torani SF flavored syrups? On days that I cannot stomach the taste of my protein drinks I add a little of the syrup and some ice and blend well. Makes it much more tolerable.

mute
on 4/20/15 7:40 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Ooh, I did pick up one of those syrups and I haven't really tried it yet. That's a great suggestion, thanks!

Melinda

siberiancat
on 4/21/15 1:17 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I am 6 years post RNY and I have whey isolate protein every day.  I use Bluebonnet brand because the sweetner is stevia.  I have nausea after eating (I had this before RNY - so nothing new).  Sometimes I can't eat solid food and will have whey isolate protein for a second time in a day for a meal.  I always get 80-100 grams of protein a day.

I realize that this nausea is uncommon and have just learned to live with it.  When I eat solid food - I always have protein first, then veggies and fruit.  I stay away from prepared food and don't eat fast food.

Follow your plan, see your bariatric surgeon and dietitian.  They will guide you.  We do what we've got to do, but bottom line have to get protein in and take our supplements.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?