Fruit ? for the vets

cspotrun
on 4/18/15 1:28 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I dump on fruits as well.  I can have a couple bites of a fruit after protein, but not more than that, and never as a stand alone snack.

Karen   

SkinnyScientist
on 4/22/15 3:45 am

Hey Paul. I dont triathlon...but I DO run up to 12 miles in a shot..and I do low carb too. The carbs I do eat are low GI.

This carbs for energy is overstated. Energy can be derived from fat. Plus, the liver makes glycogen so we have a "fast" energy source.  Really the problem comes with diabetics..but that is a whole different ball of wax.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Tracy D.
on 4/16/15 5:43 am, edited 4/16/15 5:43 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You can't always go by the glycemic load "label" on things.  My personal experience has been that some foods supposedly lower on the glycemic scale will send my blood sugar soaring while things that are higher don't cause the same reaction.  

I'm not advocating that anyone steer completely away from fruit - and I usually eat some type of fruit every day.  But it pays to be cautious and listen to your body.  Especially for unmedicated diabetics who control blood sugar levels through careful diet and exercise.  They should be checking their glucose several times a day and after every meal and snack to figure out what's working and what's not.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/16/15 11:00 am - OH

My plan allowed for NSA applesauce right away (I started soft foods on Day Three post-op) and then some specific fruits (bananas and strawberries are the two that I specifically remember) starting at 2 months out, and then all fruits except pineapple at 3 months out.  It was delayed for a couple more months (2 or 3... I can't remember exactly since it was almost 8 years ago) because it is very fibrous and hard to digest.

My surgeon's rule was protein first at every meal, and then some veggies or fruit (heavier on the veggies) so that we met our protein goals but also had a well-rounded diet. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/17/15 12:39 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I dump on fruit - green apples and strawberries are the worst.  I've stopped trying as it just isn't worth it to me.  I actually think there are lots of RNYers who have issues with the sugar in fruit - it may not be "common" but it is real for plenty of us.  You need to find the balance that works for you.  If you are already feeling food fatigue then I recommend you switch things up in your regular food as well.  This is a process and there is lots to learn that will be unique to you.

I think pineapple is very hard to chew and digest and would skip it this early out if I was you.  Good luck!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/17/15 2:41 am, edited 4/17/15 2:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My team at the Cleveland Clinic has me on the METABOLIC eating plan after WLS -- due to the fact that I was a diabetic before surgery.  The metabolic plan was created by several research endocrinologists to specifically address metabolic issues after WLS to maximize the possibility of success in not only maintaining at least 75% excess weight loss but to keep diabetes in remission.

That said, my plan excludes fruits for the 1st six months post WLS.  After that, it includes only blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb, blackberries, 1/4 of an apple, 8 strawberries, or an 1/8 cantaloupe for the remainder of the weight loss stage -- after protein consumption.  In maintenance, there is slightly more flexibility -- however bananas, pears, pomegranates, pineapples, cherries, grapes, tangerines and oranges are on my "very rarely/special occasion" list for maintenance.  

Edited to add:  I didn't notice that you'd addressed this to "vets" -- and wanted to add my disclaimer that I am only 15 months out and therefore, not a vet.  :-)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/18/15 7:56 am

I'm not a vet, either, at not quite four years, but I also rarely eat fruit. When I do, it is one or two strawberries or a slice of apple. My surgeon's office emphasizes protein with some non starchy veggies. Fruit is on the once-in-a-while-and-a-very-small-amount list.

I did not eat any fruit for at least the first nine months. I think it is yet another food it is easy to eat way too much of.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

NoDaybut2Day
on 4/17/15 12:58 pm, edited 4/17/15 12:59 pm - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

I agree you should test the fruits out you are interested in and see how you are affected.  I personally eat fruit every day and have not had any ill effects.  I'm losing fast enough for me.  Watermelon is a God-send!  It's really filling and satisfying.  I often eat a blend of 1/2 small banana, 5-7 strawberries and 1/2 cup of blueberries.  Yum!  But, there are no issues for me.  Do what is right for you just as all of the people who have posted who have fruit issues are doing for themselves!

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

MyLady Heidi
on 4/21/15 2:47 am

I would stick with organic fruit over protein chemical ****tails any day.  The organic fruit is full of fiber and vitamins and is naturally healthy, anything man-made is questionable at best.

Free us from GMO's Please!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views