Breakfast: How important is "the most important meal of the day?"

Pokemom
on 4/16/15 1:44 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Is a protein coffee just coffee with protein powder in it?

jenorama
on 4/15/15 6:56 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I do a protein shake in the morning and then don't eat solid food until lunchtime.  But yeah, if you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat something.  Sounds like you're on the right track with getting your daily fluids started.  :D

Jen

Pokemom
on 4/16/15 1:52 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Maybe that is similar to what I am doing.  My plan says no protein drinks.  But I am having beef broth.  Sometimes I have a half glass of kefir yogurt (but even that seems more solid than what I want early in the day).

Grim_Traveller
on 4/15/15 7:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is nothing especially important about breakfast. There are lots of myths out there. Orange juice being healthy is another laugher.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Pokemom
on 4/16/15 1:59 am, edited 4/16/15 2:00 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks.  That is why I asked.  It is really hard to know the myths.  And it seems that the 'non-myths' change every 5-7 years also.  For a while, I subscribed to the Nutrition Action Newsletter.  I always felt they had good research-based discussions, and that they evaluated/dissected the research quoted in other publications.  Even then, things change.

My surgeon, in a class before surgery and in appointments after, has said that sociologists say that people's opinions are strongly held--and not likey to change in spite of evidence--on three topics:  religion, politics, and nutrition.  I don't know if THAT statement was research-based!  But it is interesting to think of nutrition being in the category of religion and politics. 

By the way, at the risk of stirring up OH politics, my surgeon said that once in response to my questions about minimum protein requirements.  He feels that people eat too much protein after WLS. 

(Edited just to get rid of the OH asterisks!)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/15 11:25 am - OH

The only thing that is evidence based is that one of the effects of eating is that your body raises your metabolism a bit... So if you don't eat until you have been up for many hours, you missed the opportunity to boost your metabolism for a little bit.

Of course, if you consume more calories by eating breakfast than skipping breakfast, it probably doesn't make up for that.

Some of us have to eat something for breakfast or our blood sugar tanks, but if it doesn't bother you to not eat breakfast and you don't want to eat breakfast, there is no reason you should.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Pokemom
on 4/16/15 1:46 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks for the comment about metabolism. The two things I have always read/heard about breakfast is (1) the metabolism boost; and (2) how children who eat breakfast do better in school.  I do find that if I wait until I feel REALLY hungry (and I think it is a blood sugar thing), then I want to eat whatever, so I do try to eat by 11:00.  Thanks again.

Kathyjs
on 4/15/15 12:00 pm

I was here daily for over a year 12 years ago. I was given so much support that I felt the need to pay back. I lost the weight, I have maintained the loss and I read these posts that make me so upset. If I don't eat breakfast I will tank out. At an early stage of this surgery you have no clue what is down the road, this is not another diet. Go to the revision boards. Ask how many thought starting your metabolism is important. I am not bragging I am trying to give you advise . I want to see you all lose and maintain 

Pokemom
on 4/16/15 1:48 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks, Kathyjs.  So, are the people on the revision boards unhappy about not eating breakfast because they did not boost their metabolisms?  I am not challenging, just trying to understand better what you were saying.  Thanks!

Semaenlightened
on 4/15/15 3:00 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

Ok so now the responses make me ask a question....if I have a protein shake in the morning that IS breakfast isnt it?? Yet its a fluid...but its also protein...so that would be my breakfast right??

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 398 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Recent Topics