any one with a ulcer?

dirks34
on 4/12/15 4:36 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Hi Everyone.

So I found out last week I have ulcer. My hemoglobin has been steady declining since my RNY in 2012 so my family doctor sent my surgeon who did my RNY a letter. He ordered a colonoscopy/gastroscopy. I have no significant symptoms and really thought everything would come back clear. However this is not the case. My doctors appt is next week to follow up with her.

My surgeon gave me a prescription for the ulcer...two to be exact. One for reflux that I have never get and the other to help heal the ulcer or that's what I think is for.

Have anybody else experienced a ulcer due to their RNY and how did you overcome this? I'm wondering if I got it from something I ate, something I did or too much coffee? Any insite would be most helpful.

After I am finished this medication will it be healed....and how will they know?

I've never had a ulcer before nor have family history of it. Hopefully this is the cause of the low hemoglobin.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

nicupnorth
on 4/12/15 8:32 am - Eagle river, WI

I have one too, I also did not have any symptoms it was found when I went To have my stricture fixed.  I was on Prilosec and Carafate for a month.  The hardest part was taking the Carafate 4 times a day! I have had no problems since!  Good luck

dirks34
on 4/12/15 8:56 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Thanks for you reply. How long ago did this happen to you? If you had no symptoms before how do you know it is gone?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

nicupnorth
on 4/12/15 9:28 am - Eagle river, WI

Mine was diagnosed would you believe Friday February 13th!  I did a month of Prilosec in capsules that I had too take apart and dump the granules in applesauce,  the Carafate 4 times a day which sucked because I was not allowed to eat of drink and hour before or after taking it.  It did not taste as bad as I had anticipated.  

I did not have any symptoms before other than the vomiting from the stricture.  I have a gnawing hunger pain every once in awhile, I don't know if ulcer is back or if I'm starting to experience hunger again.  I did discuss this just the other day with my doc who does not think it is an ulcer because it is not all the time no pain when I eat and no vomiting.  I go infor labs in two months at my 6 month mark.

ssciolino
on 4/13/15 11:23 am - Webster, NY

I developed an ulcer 11 months after RNY. Did not stop having dark stools for 10 days  (was in hospital)' ended up having surgery. But it was not found then. After the third episode of bleeding, a gastroscopy found it. Took Carafate for 6 weeks until it healed. Have been on Prilosec since RNY. My doc does not think it was related to the gastric bypass, the ulcer was not in the pouch, but a little farther down. Hope you are feeling better.  Stella

"Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 390 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics