What does full feel like?

cheapskate
on 4/8/15 3:45 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am eating cottage cheese, yogurt, refried beans... Those things. 

Whatdoes full feel like now?  I just atea tiny container of cottage cheese and i feel uncomfortable. Am I full?  Did I over eat? o

Seyenna
on 4/8/15 4:31 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

For me I know that I'm full when I feel pressure under my ribcage, and I know that I've over eaten or eaten too quickly when I feel the pressure in my chest, neck or throat. I've heard it's different for everyone and that recognizing your cues will take time. Just eat very very slowly and play it by ear. Make sure you're prioritizing protein and drink lots of water. Good luck!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Ladytazz
on 4/8/15 5:23 am

Full is going to elude you for a while.  The nerves in your stomach have been cut so you shouldn't be feeling full for a while. 

The goal isn't full, the goal is satisfied.  That is why it is so important to follow your plan and to measure out everything.

To this day whatever it is I am about to eat never looks like it will be enough.  I still cannot believe I can be satisfied with such a small amount of food.  I always tell myself to just eat it and if I am still hungry in an hour I can have more.  I have never had to have more.

Now, nearly 5 years after my surgery my "full" is different.  Once I go past satisfied and take that extra bite or two that I can't leave behind I literally feel like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner.  No matter how much the brain wants the rest, and believe me, it always does, the stomach cannot take it and my dogs wind up being the beneficiary of my miscalculations.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

chulbert
on 4/8/15 5:41 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You have no ability right now to feel full -- that takes a while to come back.  Right now you need to focus on measuring everything you eat and following your surgeon's plan to the letter.  Typical early post-ops have some sort of "tell" when they've eaten too much, like a runny nose or something.

Eventually, full feels pretty much like it used to, I think.  Maybe just a little higher in the abdomen.

cheapskate
on 4/8/15 6:09 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am measuring. That is why I was asking. I am not sure if eating is uncomfortable or i am. Doing something wrong. I am. Only eating 2 tbs at a time. I am not eating anything that really needs to be chewed but am still chewing somewhat. The list of approved foods is very short but I am sticking to it. 

momjan
on 4/8/15 1:31 pm - Canada

I was told RNY pouches are usually about the size of a golf ball.  I kept one on the counter for a long time so I could understand how little I could eat.  Of course, I can eat more now, 5 years out.  I can do about .75 - 1 cup for dinner, depending on what it is.  If it is a dense protein, then less.  Tonight was black bean pasta and spaghetti squash under some home made sauce with zucchini, mushrooms and red peppers in it.  The whole amount was less than 1 cup.  And never thought I would be able to eat that much at one sitting, when I first had the surgery!

NYMom222
on 4/8/15 11:01 am
RNY on 07/23/14

2 TBSP is about right for now, 3 maybe. It is very little in the beginning. I have always had a problem with eating too fast, I have gotten better but sometimes I get a painful uncomfortable feeling from that and have to pull back and wait a few minutes before taking another bite. Eventually some of the clues may be burps or hiccups or a runny nose as well as that slight pressure of a 'full' feeling. Just my experience.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kathyjs
on 4/10/15 3:48 am

How many ounces was in that cottage cheese? You said you ate it all? 12 years out now and I still will dish up my food, then throw 3/4 of it away. My eyes actually bigger than my stomach .my doc told me if I feel hunger , that's my body saying it needs water 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 217 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics