Caffeine question

Lily2
on 4/8/15 12:36 am

Hopefully within the next month or so my surgery will be scheduled.  My question is this, why does caffeine need to be eliminated?  I am (unfortunately) one of those ppl who when not able to have my morning coffee will eventually end up with a full blown migraine. I have investigated caffeine patches for an alternative.  Any help or insight would be welcome.  

Dcgirl
on 4/8/15 12:42 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

All plans are different, and my nutritionist doesn't recommend caffeine.  Her reason is vaguely that it is dehydrating.  Well I drink 80+ ounces of water or Crystal Ligh****er per day so I don't follow that reasoning, and I drink 1-2 coffees per day which gets me to almost 100 oz of liquids a day.  Additionally, for about six months I had one Chike coffee protein shake per day which has the equivalent of one shot of espresso.  I have not had any issues with drinking caffeine.  If you read the "What are you eating today" thread daily on the RNY board, I would say most of us drink caffeine :)

I already eat low carb and small amounts, don't take my coffee too!!!!!  LOL

chulbert
on 4/8/15 12:44 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Some physicians will tell you that the caffeine can cause you to become dehydrated but this is untrue.  While caffeine does have a diuretic effect, the effect is minor until you consume massive amounts and the water content of pretty much any beverage will outweigh the effect.  It's maybe not the most efficient means to stay hydrated but it doesn't really pose any risk.

Caffeine can cause some irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, especially if you develop an ulcer or other condition.  However, as long as you don't feel any burning then you're probably fine.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/15 1:22 am - Canada

My bariatric clinic does not allow caffeine. Their main concern was that it is known to contribute to causing ulcers. I slowly eliminated caffeine over the course of 3 months. Now I only drink decaf tea. Chris

Lily2
on 4/8/15 1:29 am

Thank you all for the responses, it's good to know I can keep my caffeine!!'

floweringgemini
on 4/8/15 1:50 am - Rocky Point, NC

I am glad you posted this. I am struggling with that too. I have always been convinced that i did not need caffeine but I guess I didnt realize how dependent I actually was on it. Caffeine and carbonation lost all at the same time. Hard work! I do not have a date yet but I am trying to get adapted to the way life will be for the next year or so. So far since I am eating yogurt for breakfast and drinking my lunch (3.8oz) I really only EAT dinner. I miss chewing and drinking bubbles. I cant wait till the surgery though so that I can see the benefit of this.

Lily2
on 4/8/15 2:28 am

Wow, so you've actually started what seems to be more of a post op diet.  Kudo's!!  And yes I am caffeine dependant but I figure that is the least of my worries.  I just needed to know if it was medically necessary to remove from my diet. 

Poodlemac
on 4/8/15 1:47 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I have always gotten headaches if I didn't have my coffee. However, after surgery I went cold turkey on caffeine and had ZERO ill effects. I never had a headache or anything!!  I was quite suprised.  A couple of moths post surgery I returned to my regular coffee as I just thoroughly enjoy it and have my whole life!  (A family tradition!) 

Lily2
on 4/8/15 2:29 am

Yeah , here too.  If that's the worst of my evils I guess I'm not going to stress on it

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/15 1:59 am
RNY on 05/04/15

My clinic wants no caffeine just for the first few months, but they claim it's because of the diuretic effect, which as others have mentioned, isn't nearly as significant as a lot make it out to be. I figured if I get a withdrawal headache after surgery, at least it'll be while I have some good painkillers to help.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 380 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 217 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics