Losing slow-ish, what were you eating early on?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/14/15 7:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Now THAT is a great idea.  Roasting adds a whole new element of flavors.  Next time I'm going to try it  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/21/15 10:41 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Audrey, I hope you see this.  I roasted my cauliflower and garlic this time and it is AMAZING!!! The flavors are so much better and the cauliflower doesn't need to be drained of moisture. 

BEST. IDEA. EVER. Thank you 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Ocalasam
on 4/13/15 3:57 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Start measuring!!  You may not know you're full for quite a while since your nerves were cut, plus it's a good habit to get into right from the start.

mute
on 4/13/15 4:05 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Not to sound stupid - but measuring what? I know how to count calories, carbs, protein and all of that. But do you mean measuring things as in 1 ounce of this and 1 ounce of that? How many ounces of  specific things am I supposed to be having? I swear mu NUT did not do the measuring thing at all.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Dcgirl
on 4/13/15 4:16 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

It doesn't sound stupid - it sounds like your NUT didn't tell you enough to help you be successful!  Some people measure by volume (i.e. 1/4 cup) but I found it was very difficult to measure chicken strips in a cup, for example.  I bought a $20 digital food scale on amazon and even at almost 1.5 years out, I use it every day.  I measure out 3 or 4 ounces per meal.  I am still not good at eye-balling quantities.  As early on as you are, I would recommend eating 1-2 ounces.  Just because you can eat a 5.4 ounce yogurt doesn't mean you would want to now.  Good luck!

Joemac9408
on 4/13/15 5:23 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

After surgery when I started measuring things I realized how much I sucked at eyeballing things before.  I guess my first hint should've been that I was almost 300 pounds.  I measure/weigh everything now.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

mute
on 4/13/15 5:38 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Ok, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I didn't cook at all before this - my husband did - but we do have a food scale so I will start weighing food starting today. I'm only 3 weeks out so I feel like I can absolutely do this and make a huge difference in how much I'm losing. I was talking to my husband about this and I'm guessing I'm doing good on how much of the ground chicken and tuna I eat - because we make it in small batches so I know how many ounces was in that. But I am not doing good with the yogurt I can say for sure, I know I was eating more of that. 

And I will stop eating the potatoes today as well. And start incorporating the other suggestions. This is all really helpful!

Melinda

Dcgirl
on 4/13/15 5:56 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Melinda - if you weigh your food and stick to a high protein/low carb plan, and start to incorporate exercise once you have dropped some weight, you can absolutely do this.  I weighed 369 at my highest, 351 day of surgery, and 150 as of today.  I never thought it was possible.  But these first six months-one year is truly the honeymoon and the best time to lose.  If you still hate mashed cauliflower, then stick to just protein.  Get your fluids in.  Eat three meals and 1-2 small snacks if needed.  Weigh your food.  Find ways to have healthy versions of your old favorites.  Miss pizza?  Micro some low fat ricotta cheese with italian herbs, a tablespoon of pizza sauce, and a few pieces of turkey pepperoni.  It's not an easy road but the freedom you will feel when you run a 5k or sit in a middle seat on an airplane or take the stairs instead of the elevator, make every sacrifice worth it!  It's great you are coming to the site for advice - I have found the support here to be a big part of my success so I think you're on a good path!  Good luck - I will be hoping for your continued success!

mute
on 4/13/15 6:44 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Well that gives me a lot of hope! I haven't found a lot of people with similar stats. I weighed 362 the day of surgery. And it's funny you mention pizza because while I don't miss it now - I did really love pizza and I'm sure I will will miss it soon enough! I love to travel and can't count how much I've spent on first class just because I didn't want to deal with the humiliation of being in the teeny seats. My best friend and I want to go to England next year and I want to be able to walk all over with her size 2 ass. I have experience with message boards being my lifeline, I'm a breast cancer survivor and found that I wouldn't have made it through without the support I got on one particular site so I knew finding a good place like this would be vital to me!

Melinda

Dcgirl
on 4/13/15 6:59 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I went to London and Paris last year and walked 25,000 steps per day!  It was incredible!  I would recommend investing in a FitBit or some activity tracker - mine propels me to do more.  I have a goal of 10,000 steps per day and I always reach it (though not recently because three weeks ago i had a breast lift and lower body lift).

There are a bunch of us "heavyweights" on here.  I have seen quite a few people 300+ lbs reach their goal...a few that come to mind and keep me motivated are Grim_Traveler, GeekMonster, Lora, Laura in Texas, Nikke who had VSG...keep coming back here and there are some awesome vets who have lost a ton of weight and kept it off.  

I bought two pairs of size 6 pants today, and bikinis this weekend, and trust me, as someone who has weighed 369 lbs, I never ever ever ever thought that was possible.

I have found recipes online to modify previous favorites (such as pizza made on half of a Flat Out Light wrap, or eating Mexican fajitas with no rice, beans, or tortillas).  There were times I felt sorry for myself ("Why can't I have pizza like everyone else?!") and then I remind myself that I have had enough pizza for a lifetime.

I have not tried pasta - that is my true crack and I don't want to know if I can tolerate it - but I do not tolerate bread well nor rice so I steer clear.  Quinoa and falafel also make me vomit.  I can tolerate anything else, including sweets, so I have to rely on myself to make good choices.  I was so 100% on plan for the first 6-8 months and now that I have reached goal, I find myself eating a little of this, a little of that.  I know it's a slippery slope and I HAVE to stay vigilant.  I see my plastic surgery as partly being an insurance policy.  I did not spend $20k and pain to regain, is how I look at it.  I take it one day at a time.  I cannot say "I will never regain" because you can see posts here every single day of people who are years out and have packed on a few pounds or a lot of pounds.

My advice (and this is what worked for ME, everyone is different).  Avoid crackers.  You don't need them this early out.  Once you want to incorporate them in, try 34 degrees brand crackers from amazon, or Mr. O's cheese crisps (high protein, low carb).  Eat pickles if you need crunch.  Keep England in your sight and read these forums and ask questions and eat high protein, low carb, and you will be keeping up with your friend's size 2 ass!  Perhaps even walking faster than her :)  I never dreamed I would run a 5k, walk 10 miles in a day just because, sit in a middle airplane seat, wear a bikini.  RNY has made me see that I wasn't living my fullest life before, and now I feel like I have been afforded a second chance.  I hope you use your tool to reach your best self!  As a cancer survivor, it seems like you have the strength within you to do this!  It's an exciting journey :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 395 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics