Home the next day??

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 2:59 am

Thanks for the advice.

christinerocks
on 4/10/15 10:16 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Hi there! I had my surgery this week (on Monday) and agree with all the advice above. Don't rush this and be honest with yourself and care team.  Best ways to control pain and get ready to go home are to get your water in, walk as much as possible and as soon as you're able, and use that spirometer! 

I was really pushing to get home and was dutifully walking and sipping from day1. unfortunately I developed an infection in the hospital. I had to stay 3 nights and came home late in the day on day 4. But it was critical that I be well enough to come home and the care team were correct in keeping me.  I'm not trying to scare you, as my corpse was a rare exception. Just be mentally prepared in the event you need to stay an extra night or 2; we aren't in full control of this process!  Then, work on the things you can control, like the walking and drinking, and put your trust in your team. The majority of folks recover quickly and well, and You'll do great! Be excited! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 3:00 am

Thanks for sharing your experienc and for the advice.

I am getting excited.

Maria27
on 4/11/15 12:28 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

My surgeon said that the only people he ever sends home early are those having the sleeve. He always keeps those with RNY at least two nights. I didn't like being in the hospital, but I would not have been ready to go home the next day. The anesthesia made me pretty woozy, and I didn't like being upright much the day after surgery. On the third day, I was able to eat pureed foods. My surgeon wanted to make sure I could tolerate them before he sent me home. I hope all goes well for you!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 2:41 am

Thank you so much.

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 3:00 am

Thanks for telling me your experiences, and for the good wishes, too.

NYMom222
on 4/11/15 12:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My doc was one that always kept RNY patients 2 nights. No negotiating... then they came in and said 'maybe you will go home today..' (On day 2) I was like what! I want home. I really don't think it would have made much of a difference to go home a day earlier, but it was good to walk in hospital, and I got past the big releasing of the gas pain day there... Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

FredeesMom
on 4/12/15 4:33 am

Thanks!

toolman800
on 4/11/15 1:29 pm

I had my RNY 3/25/15 at bariatric center of Kansas City.I had surgery in the morning and went home the next morning.I felt great but they still made me ride in a wheel chair. My only problem was I developed broncitis and coughed constantly. The pillow definately helps with the coughing pain. After that everything is great.

FredeesMom
on 4/12/15 4:34 am

Thank you for sharing!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 394 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views