Home the next day??

FredeesMom
on 4/10/15 9:30 am

Having RNY this Monday, the 13th. Haven't been in a hospital in 35 years(to have my son)!! What milestones must I reach to go home the next day.  The surgeon said that some people go home the next day, some have to stay.  Any thoughts??

Much appreciated!

A little nervous, very excited!!

Fredees Mom

stevie95678
on 4/10/15 10:02 am

Had RNY surgery on Wednesday, came home yesterday.  My suggestion would be to walk whenever you're able, take lots of deep breaths (use your spriometer), and be honest about how you're feeling with your care team. I had a laproscopic procedure and had (have) to deal with absorbing air in your abdomen - its very uncomfortable.  If your pain is controlled and your lab numbers look good, you'll get to go home the next day.  If not, enjoy another night in the hospital and gain the strength you need.  Good luck to you - you'll do fine!

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 2:56 am

Thanks for sharing....and the good wishes!

cheapskate
on 4/10/15 10:54 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I came home about 24 hours later and it wenr great. One piece. Of. Advice I am glad I took was to bring a pillow for the ride home. Even on the way home we stopped at walmart for a couple of things. I moved slow but it was fine. I slept fine in my bed, on my back, with a pillow sit upon on the back amd a bunch of. Pillows propping me up. 

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 2:57 am

I appreciate your thoughts....thanks.

iceblaze3k
on 4/10/15 11:02 am - Canada
RNY on 02/18/15

I went home the next day... could not sleep a wink in the hospital. My o2 had to return to normal and I had to tolerate full fluids to get discharged but every hospital is different of course. No complications so far!

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 2:57 am

Thank you.

Semaenlightened
on 4/10/15 11:32 am
RNY on 03/25/15

Congrats!!! Sooo exciting!!! I actually asked to stay and extra day.  I just wanted to feel comfortable with getting fluids etc.  I think one suggestion would be don't lay in the bed too long. Get up and get walking..it will help move the gas and make it easier to show them you can get and keep fluids in.  And when they take you of the morphine pump and start with giving you oxycodone they will offer you 2 at a time... if the pain is not that bad, try to stick with just one (that is assuming that the hospital you will be in will use a similar medicine protocal).  That will help you to not become overly sedated and keep walking and walk farther every other time.  I was up and walking after 2 hours and walked every 2 hours from then on out...except for the middle of the night, but then if I woke up (or got woken up) I would get up and walk.

Good luck to you!!

FredeesMom
on 4/11/15 2:58 am

Thanks for the great narrative.  I really appreciate it! I will take your good wishes with me.

selhard
on 4/10/15 7:45 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Wow, 35 years, my co-morbidities gave me a long rap sheet of surgeries before WLS!  From those experiences, I'd recommend staying for as long as allowed because it's important to be monitored closely those first couple of days. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics