Boy was I surprised!

Maria27
on 4/10/15 12:13 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I have not been told to take an iron supplement, and that I only need to take the iron that is in my multivitamin. I've asked my dietitian about this a couple of times, and she told me it depends on my next set of labs. I did not have a deficiency before surgery, but if my first set of post surgery labs show one, then I am to start taking a supplement. This does make me nervous based on what others have said here, but taking too much of supplements can also have negative effects on your body. I am pretty much expecting that I will need to start taking iron soon because my pre-surgery level was already low, just now low enough to be deficient.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

radze09
on 4/10/15 2:04 am
RNY on 06/08/15

Thank you guys again! I will clarify with the doctor. In the mix of all the questions and such I did not go into detail with him. Next appointment I will. I just looked at my multi and if I do what he says by taking two a day that will be 36mg of iron. The iron in the multi, is not absorbed or the wrong kind??? Can you buy the other form at any regular store or do you have to go to a vitamin/supplement store?? Thanks y'all, all good info!!

Ladytazz
on 4/10/15 2:22 pm

Actually my hemotologist told me the same thing but this was after watching my iron tank with supplementation. 

He said that I am just not absorbing it, or at least enough to keep my levels up.  He told me I didn't need to keep supplementing and that they would just check me every often and do infusions as needed.

But, this is after a history, not before I even had surgery.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 394 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics