Boy was I surprised!

Spots- N-Dots
on 4/10/15 1:59 am

Grim said it perfectly...

Do your own research, track your labs n stay ahead of the curve. Better safe than sorry.

take care -

Debbie

" Never let your dreams rust "   

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/9/15 10:22 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I cannot speak to your doctor, but I will say that this goes completely against my program at the Cleveland Clinic.  In fact, we are asked to take a class on vitamin/mineral management and expectations after gastric bypass and I was asked to sign paperwork saying that I understood that I would likely need to supplement for the remainder of my life and estimates of the monthly cost.  Deficiencies after malabsorption type surgeries are unfortunately quite common and can be devastating.  Two that are most common are iron and calcium.  I had NO iron deficiency before my surgery -- at any time -- even during pregnancy, but I was still put on 30 mg of iron and 1500 calcium citrate within 3 days out of surgery.  We are monitored every 3 months for our iron levels -- so it can be adjusted up or down.  I was adjust up at 3 months to 60 mg and dropped back to 30 mg for the last two checks.  Unless you are man, I would really question not supplementing after surgery.  It is very very hard to get levels up but much easier to maintain and even lower them if they get too high.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

radze09
on 4/9/15 10:59 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Thank you guys for your thoughts! Spreadsheet idea is awesome. I thought it seemed odd. He was clear with his answer but I will clarify with him again to make sure he was not meaning like maybe during the healing process or because of my hysterectomy or something. Maybe the amount in the multi twice a day is enough so he figures I do not need extra. I want a healthy body after surgery. If he still does not want me taking it, I will explain my position of still wanting to, and we will make it work. I will be my own advocate!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/15 1:43 am

Please make sure your doc test not only iron but also ferritin. Ferritin is the iron storage. Your blood iron may be OK but if your storage are getting depleted - it would indicate you are not getting enough iron. 

I am talking from experience.  2 years post op I felt horrible.. yet doc wee telling me my numbers are OK, only after I insisted they check my ferritin we realised that my ferritin dropped from 100 before RNy to just 10 app 2 years post op...  10 is a very low number for me. I start getting  low iron symptoms when my ferritin drops below 30. (very tired, depressed, low energy, RLS, etc etc)  So now I get infused every 2 years or so.. .  Due to some other condition I have  - I can't take large dosage of oral iron.  I wish I could. Infusion is not fun for me.. and very expensive. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

radze09
on 4/9/15 11:03 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Just a thought I had, could my starting weight have anything to do with it?? I am starting at a bmi of 38?? Not sure how it might corelate but....,....

Gina 22 years out
on 4/10/15 12:03 am - Burleson, TX

RADZE--No, your BMI should not have anything to do with it..nor age, or whether or not you still have menstrual cycles, are male/female/etc...

I am not a WLS Surgeon..Ok..I'll admit..I'm not a surgeon, at ALL..not even a PHYSICIAN...just a nearly 13 YEAR post op RNYer...38 year career nurse (who has seen a lot, and knows some stuff )...I would be okay with peeps not taking iron, or ANY vitamins, in the first few weeks of healing-esp with RNY...that poor little pouch has been thru hell, and has enough to do, just to get liquids, etc in...BUT..after THAT...

Check out   www.vitalady.com  She knows EVERYTHING about vitamins, and is a further out post op, than even me (and a whole lot skinnier!)...I buy my regular vitamins a lot of different places (always watching for those BOGO sales!), but will ONLY buy my Iron from vitalady!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Ladytazz
on 4/10/15 3:23 am

Just a heads up.  I've heard that vitalady is closing shop and out of most things.  This was from a reliable source but you may want to check this out to verify it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Gina 22 years out
on 4/10/15 1:43 pm - Burleson, TX

TAZZ...say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Ocalasam
on 4/9/15 11:03 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Hala is right.  I'm sorry, but your doctor is wrong.  We've seen so many people on this forum that told us their doctors told them to take Flintstone vitamins or that they don't think you need a lot of protein, etc.  Your doctor is wrong.  Some people do get by without supplementation, and they are lucky and that is great.  Several people I personally know have had to get infusions.  I have always had great iron levels before WLS, 2 years later, my iron is on the low side (don't need an infusion yet) but I haven't been taking my iron supplements like I should be and my iron has steadily dropped over two years.  I eat a good amount of foods high in iron - more than I did before surgery.  Did I mention that your doctor is totally wrong on this???

Ocalasam
on 4/9/15 11:04 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Certain kinds of iron do cause constipation.  Very true.  Ferrous Sulfate does.  Carbonyl Iron does not cause constipation.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 395 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics