Stopping weight loss after RNY

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/15 3:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On April 10, 2015 at 9:14 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

I have nightmares where I get fat again.  The statement "It is almost impossible to find someone who is three years out and still too skinny." just kills me and sends ice-water like fear into my veins.

I know you are telling the truth, but damn, I like this weight taht I am at 1.4 months out. It kills me to think things are going to start going "back to hell" again.

I am prepared to do a Heidi and eat only once a day if I have to. 

I feel joyous like a prisoner that just got out of jail right now. I dont want to back though. i have tremendous fear of going back.

I understand the fear. But surely as a smart science-y person, you know better than to ACTUALLY use Heidi as a role model?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 4/10/15 3:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't know if you're seeing a therapist, but it might be helpful.  Living in this much fear isn't a healthy way to live.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Karen M.
on 4/10/15 3:45 am - Mississauga, Canada

You're prepared to do a WHAT?

Give your head a shake for F sakes. I am becoming increasingly concerned with your posts, "skinny scientist". If you are not already, I would very kindly suggest you consider some counseling to work through your thoughts and behaviours.

Best wishes to you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/15 5:37 am

I am not sure if you are giving Heidi a credit or making fun of her??? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 4/10/15 6:49 am

Neither.  I am prepared to do whatever it takes so I dont get MO again. And I really dont care what it is. I am pleased with everything this surgery has brought in my life (even the expensive blood draws/labs) and to think it could just go away because my stupid body decided to turn against me AGAIN by growing more villi is just...heart breaking/ saddening/ depressing/head shaking!?!?

I think the above posters are right though. Getting MO isnt as bad as cancer or a million other things. Fat or thin, whatver talents  have are still the same. But I dont want to be a back slider. I am afraid of going back regardless of not doing anything wrong.  Maybe I should talk to a pro about it...because it is a very real fear. But I am also a worry wart!

it is just...there is something easier about life as a thin person. I feel like I dont have to prove myself as much?  Life seems easier?  I really cant put my finger on it.  But there IS something different with my interactions with the world/life.

Anyway, I am out for the weekend for a weekend. So no depressing/concerning posts from Skinny this weekend!  You are all safe!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/15 8:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On April 10, 2015 at 1:49 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

Neither.  I am prepared to do whatever it takes so I dont get MO again. And I really dont care what it is. I am pleased with everything this surgery has brought in my life (even the expensive blood draws/labs) and to think it could just go away because my stupid body decided to turn against me AGAIN by growing more villi is just...heart breaking/ saddening/ depressing/head shaking!?!?

I think the above posters are right though. Getting MO isnt as bad as cancer or a million other things. Fat or thin, whatver talents  have are still the same. But I dont want to be a back slider. I am afraid of going back regardless of not doing anything wrong.  Maybe I should talk to a pro about it...because it is a very real fear. But I am also a worry wart!

it is just...there is something easier about life as a thin person. I feel like I dont have to prove myself as much?  Life seems easier?  I really cant put my finger on it.  But there IS something different with my interactions with the world/life.

Anyway, I am out for the weekend for a weekend. So no depressing/concerning posts from Skinny this weekend!  You are all safe!

If you are readily admitting that you will do ANYTHING (including unhealthy and extreme methods)? Then yes, you DO need to talk to a pro.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/10/15 2:41 pm - OH

Ditto what Julie, Karen, and Gwen said.  There are a lot of yellow flags in some of the things you have posted lately, and I think counseling might be useful. Your perspective seems to be becoming a bit skewed.

Your body isn't turning against you.  It is doing what EVERY body does after RNY: protect itself against injury (the bypass) and the resulting potential starvation. The body overcoming the caloric malabsorption is just "part of the deal".

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/10/15 6:47 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On April 10, 2015 at 9:14 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

I have nightmares where I get fat again.  The statement "It is almost impossible to find someone who is three years out and still too skinny." just kills me and sends ice-water like fear into my veins.

I know you are telling the truth, but damn, I like this weight taht I am at 1.4 months out. It kills me to think things are going to start going "back to hell" again.

I am prepared to do a Heidi and eat only once a day if I have to. 

I feel joyous like a prisoner that just got out of jail right now. I dont want to back though. i have tremendous fear of going back.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

White Dove
on 4/10/15 8:38 am - Warren, OH

I know it is like telling the kindergarteners that there is no Santa, but I would rather understand how the surgery works and be prepared than just have weight regain and not know why.  Your body is smart and knows what it needs to do to recover from the surgery. 

Regain is normal.  Understand it and be ready to nip it in the bud.  Mine stopped when I faced up to it, started weighing myself daily and realized that it was going to take less calories to maintain at my goal.  That does not mean eating once a day, but for me it means eating five or six times a day and keeping calories at 200 or 300 for a meal.

I know I need 1400 to maintain at 136 and to lose a pound a week I need to cut back to 900 a day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

christinerocks
on 4/9/15 9:39 pm, edited 4/9/15 9:40 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

As someone only a few days out from surgery, I have no personal experience to offer. I think the vets have the best advice.  If you do really want to stop your weight loss now, my idea for you is to get in touch with a nutritionist with Bariatric Surgery experience.  He or she will help you find a way to slow your weight loss in a healthy way and guide you into maintenance, especially as you are in that honeymoon weight loss phase.  There may be other resources on OH or elsewhere, as well, but I think an experienced nutritionist could also help. 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 395 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics