Thought I could do this on my own

brenda_m
on 4/11/15 4:13 am - Renick, WV

Thank you so much!! Same for me, up and down all my life. Im really excited to keep this journey going. And your right, its a life time choice. Im ready!!

annelinda59
on 4/11/15 4:46 am
VSG on 06/03/14

My doctor tried to convince me to have WLS for years and I kept thinking I could do it on my own. And I could lose weight on my own; 240 pounds one time. What I couldn't do was keep it off. I lost 60 pounds before surgery, but this time I admitted to myself that I needed surgery. One month post surgery my 26 year old niece died and I no longer really cared if I lost weight or not. I wasted precious honeymoon time eating and drinking more calories than I needed, but with my new limitations on eating I still lost some, then plateaued. Around February I remembered that I really do care about my health, and got back on track. Without the surgery I'm sure I would weight more today that the 419 pounds I started with.

5'6" SW 359

brenda_m
on 4/11/15 5:16 am - Renick, WV

I tend to have the same problem. I can lose weight, no problem. Its keeping it off thats the problem. I lost 140lbs, twice in my life (among other times Ive lost) only to regain that and more. Depression seems to get the best of me and I dont care about anything. Ive done alot of praying, and now Im ready to go thru with this. I know now that I cant do this on my own. Sorry to hear about your neice, that must have been hard. Im glad your back on track. You can do this!!!! Thanks for responding

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/11/15 9:24 am - OH

Are you seeing a counselor of some type?  If you lost 140 pounds and then gained 120 back all in the space of 2.5 years, I am very concerned that there are issues that you need to deal with that are the root of the overeating.  Whatever the underlying issue is that made you regain that much weight so quickly (even if it took you the entire 2.5 years for the regain) may cause you problems even after surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

brenda_m
on 4/11/15 10:22 am - Renick, WV

Yes Lora, I just started seeing an addiction counselor. For food addictions. I suffer from depression and even tho on meds, sometimes it gets the best of me. I had a bad breakup last year that really set me back and I got into such a bad depression that I just didnt care about anything. Everything I worked so hard for was gone. I suffer from spinal stenosis which has severly limited my activity. I need surgery bad. My surgeon wont operate until I lose weight. I went to see him after I lost the weight and he said it wasnt enough. That didnt help matters either. I want my life back. Im working to correct these 2 problems in my life right now. With the help of counceling and hopefully some med changes after RNY, I may be able to achieve my goals. Thanks for responding.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/12/15 11:54 am - OH

I'm glad to hear that you are already seeing someone.  It is a really important step. Unfortunately, some people fail to lose their weight or maintain their loss after surgery because they don't deal with the psychological issues.

I have never had a food addiction, but I gained about 100 pounds in 18 months after a trauma, and I work with women with histories of childhood physical or sexual abuse and/or adult sexual assault or domestic violence, and MANY of them have weight problems. Unfortunately, for most of them surgery alone isn't enough and the psychological demons continue to torment them (and their scale).  

Even with counseling, it can be tough sometimes.  I still struggle  with the "siren song" of cookies and ice cream when my PTSD and/or depression is elevated.

I wish you the best.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

brenda_m
on 4/12/15 12:14 pm - Renick, WV

Thanks so much Lora! I really appreciate your help and concern. With the help of my counselor, Im gonna get thru this and take control!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 393 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics