Open Gastric Bypass

Eggface
on 4/6/15 12:24 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had open in 2006. Knew it would be going in as well. I was walking the halls the next morning. I had an abdominal binder that I wore for a few weeks (I could have let go of it earlier but I liked the secure feeling it gave me.) If you have an option of having one I'd recommend it. 

It was a long scar but was actually utilized in my lower body lift and is pretty subtle now. I don't do the bare midriff thing anyway. 

If you have kiddos or grand kiddos you might want to warn them not to run and jump into your arms, plan on not twisting (so driving) for awhile or picking up anything heavier than a water bottle (Dr will tell you all this and really lap RNY has pretty much those same post surgery rules)

There is a slight increased risk of infection... so follow Dr's wound care info (Dr's vary but I did wound wash spray, triple antibiotic, don't itch it or mess with it, let the steri strips come off on their own, etc.) P.S. It itches like a son of a gun while healing. 

Best wishes to you!! 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

sue P.
on 4/6/15 2:24 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

Hi Shelly,

Great tip about the binder. I will definitely use it.

My first grandchild is due to arrive mid July. So I should be well on my way by then. At least I hope so!

I will also be sure to use your tips on wound care. Thanks for your response! 

christinerocks
on 4/6/15 8:48 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Off topic - Not sure where you are in CT but I had my surgery (yesterday) at Greenwich Hospital. Fabulous experience so far. PM me if you'd like details. 

Good luck!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Lily2
on 4/7/15 12:15 am

So happily surprised to see so many CT people here.  My surgery is yet to be scheduled at Hartford Hospital with Dr. Tishler.

TammyH968
on 4/7/15 5:40 am - Wichita Falls, TX

I had open RNY May 13th 2011 and had no problems.  And I LOVED the binder!!!!  Can't remember how long I wore it but it made it feel so much better and able to move around easier.  Good luck!!!

sue P.
on 4/7/15 9:14 am
RNY on 05/05/15

Kathyjs
on 4/10/15 4:19 am

You get better drugs with open :-) I had open also. Think of it this way, you won't have the gas. The pain in side that laps have. I wanted this surgery so bad I never gave open a thought. Best of luck

sue P.
on 4/10/15 9:33 am
RNY on 05/05/15

Thanks

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 394 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?