Open Gastric Bypass

sue P.
on 4/6/15 6:38 am
RNY on 05/05/15

I would love any feedback from people that had to have and open gastric bypass. I will be having open vs. laparoscopic due to mesh from a hernia previously. I have completed all testing and will be meeting with my doctor on April 20th to discuss the surgery and then they will submit to my insurance company. I am blessed to have excellent insurance, my husband is retired from ST of CT and we have Anthem. Doctors office told me they usually get an approval in a couple days! I am really looking forward to beginning this journey but am nervous about having open surgery. 

Thanks in advance! Sue

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/6/15 10:40 am - OH

I had open RNY in 2007 (and knew it would be open going into it).  Open surgery hurts more than lap, of course, and takes much longer to heal, but once you get healed it isn't any different.  Some people actually prefer one longer incision than 5 or 6 scattered all across the abdomen (especially if there is already a midline incision that they can re-use).

There is a greater chance of an incisional hernia (and you are probably at even a somehwat higher risk because of the existing hernia), but the size of your liver matters much less because with open surgery they can more easily hold it out of the way.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sue P.
on 4/6/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

The hernia I had repaired was incisional from a previous surgery. I will have my list of questions when I meet with doctor on the 20th. Thanks for the responce!

68Corvette
on 4/6/15 10:38 pm

I had open bypass 6 years ago (the laproscopic was newer) and I was lucky enough not to have any complications. I've maintained fairly close to goal wait.

So glad I did it!!!!

MyLady Heidi
on 4/6/15 11:02 am

Who is your doctor in Connecticut?  I had Dr Aranow at Middlesex and had open ten years ago, the plus side is you don't have that excruciating gas pains that can accompany lap surgery.  I have had two abdominal lap surgeries in addition to the open rny and my gallbladder surgery was lap and very painful with the gas, my lap bile duct surgery was not nearly as bad.  Open really isn't so bad, I had no problems and the scar is nearly gone since I had my tummy tuck.

sue P.
on 4/6/15 12:17 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

My surgeon is Dr. Valin in New Haven. I really like him. I hadn't thought about not having the bad gas pains. Happy to hear it isn't so bad.

Thanks Sue 

sue P.
on 4/6/15 12:21 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

My surgeon is Dr. Valin in New Haven. I really like him. I hadn't thought about not having the bad gas pains. Happy to hear it isn't so bad.

Thanks Sue 

68Corvette
on 4/6/15 10:38 pm

I had Dr. Aranow too, he was great, wish I had the tummy tuck too, but not considered medically necesary, couldn't get approved

MyLady Heidi
on 4/7/15 6:59 pm

I paid for all my plastics and used Yale residency program.  So worth it.  The success rate of postops who get tummy tucks is much higher then the general wls population.

68Corvette
on 4/7/15 11:27 pm

I would love to have one, if you don't mind saying how much did it run though the Yale program, I was quoted 30g's from my plastic guy

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics