liquid diet

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 3:36 am

I'm  4 days post op, and I can only eat popsicles. The jello I've  tried to keep down, the broth a is no go the smell is nauseating. Anything else I am allowed to drink?

rocky513
on 4/6/15 8:27 am, edited 4/6/15 8:28 am - WI

Peppermint tea was a go to for me when I felt nauseated.   Ginger tea soothes the stomach too. Try liquids at different temperatures.  I could not drink anything cold early out from surgery.  Getting your fluids in is REALLY important.  You don't want to end up back in the hospital for dehydration.  Dehydration can cause the nausea.  You need to force yourself to take an ounce or two every 15 minutes throughout the day.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 10:41 am

I switched from powerade to diluted gatorade, the taste makes it more tolerable to sip on it more often. I'm stuck on popsicles for now.

tiredofthediets
on 4/6/15 8:38 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm two weeks out and was the EXACT same as you!!! The only thing that I could do was water and popsicles. I knew I needed more so I tried crystal light and Gatorade 2. These were approved by my dr. HANG in there and hope these help.

Doingrightin2015
on 4/6/15 10:04 am
RNY on 03/10/15

my first week I did water, and power aid zero and I was to do 2 oz of juice mixed with 2 oz of water every 4 hours. The juice could only be 100% apple, grape or cranberry. I really liked the grape. All my drinks had to be caffeine free. I like the decaf peppermint tea about the *******so had the decaf Constant Comment tea it's pretty good too. Crystal light is not to bad. I am really having a change in taste when it comes to the artificial sweetners. Use to be a big Sweet and low user prior to surgery...can't stand it in anything now.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 10:42 am

I should try the diluted juices, I need to go out to the store. How soon after surgery did you all leave your house? 

Semaenlightened
on 4/6/15 10:52 am
RNY on 03/25/15

I am sorry your having a hard time!! I am 12 days post up.  When I first started liquids the hospital gave me an ounce medicine cup and I had to fini**** every 15 minutes.  It made it seem attainable.  I also was started on cream of chicken soup in the hospital...that counts as a liquid as well.  I have had cream soup every day for lunch or dinner. I found propel to be much easier to tolerate than the powerade zero. The binder we got from the program I am in suggested if people are having trouble with fluids but can tolerate Popsicles to fill ice cube trays with propel and have those instead because at least you are getting the electrolytes.  Good luck to you!!!

Bethany

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 11:42 am
  • I'm following doctors order and it says clear liquids only, cream of chicken sounds better than chicken broth. I'll  try that.
khunton
on 4/6/15 11:52 am

What kind of chicken broth are you using? Even before the surgery I thought the can chicken broth not very tasty. So I started making my own by boiling water and adding bouillon cubes to the water to make my own. I found it tasted about 100X better so much more flavor! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/15 6:46 pm

Swanson chicken broth. I think I need to make my own broth. It's just that time of year in California when it's not soup season. But I need to do this for me. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics