Do I tell my new significant other???

Jenbug43
on 4/6/15 9:52 am

I battled this when when I had band surgery in 2007.  I didn't tell anyone other than my mom and husband at the time.  I found the secret was kind of a burden sometimes.  If you feel a connection with him then I would tell him.  When you are just starting out it's fine to keep things like this to yourself.  It's personal and your story to tell, but as you go along and the relationship develops it will eventually feel like a lie.   I went through this when I was dating.    On the other hand.....I am starting the process to have my band removed and revised to RNY and I still don't want to tell anyone.  I have been with a wonderful man for a year and a half and I am having trouble telling him too.  I'm afraid he won't understand or will judge me....look at me like a failure. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/6/15 10:08 am - OH

Absolutely tell him if you consider him "significant"!  

If he is so closed minded or so negatively disposed towards overweight people that he has a Bad reaction, that tells you a lot about his character and what might happen if you were to regain some of your weight...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

angel91e
on 4/6/15 11:35 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I appreciate the feedback from one and all. I haven't kept my surgery a secret by any means I just felt uncomfortable sharing with someone I didn't know well yet but now we have been together for a few months you are all probably right that it is time to tell him. I would hate to hurt his feelings by having him hear it from someone else. I guess I just felt intimidated by how fit and healthy he has been his whole life and was worried he would view me as lazy or a failure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to broach the subject?

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Maria27
on 4/7/15 12:22 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I think the easiest way would be to show him some old photos of what you used to look like. Then you can explain how you lost the weight. You aren't lazy or a failure because you aren't overweight anymore.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 393 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views