To RNY or not to RNY. I need your help.

Ocalasam
on 4/6/15 10:51 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I don't regret having the surgery at all.  I am almost 28 months out and went from a size 20/22 to a size 0/2.  I have lost over 140 pounds and kept it off.  It is a struggle not to eat the wrong things.  I track what I eat and weigh almost daily.  I wouldn't say at this point that my life revolves around food.  It did for about a year when I meticulously had to plan and had a hard time with meats and other foods.  I still can't eat a lot of meat at one time.  You should not have the RNY at all based on the possibility of dumping.  Only 30% of people dump after RNY (that's a pretty low number).  I can eat pretty much any sweet I want without dumping.  The only thing that gives me trouble is frozen yogurt - I think it's sugar alcohols, but I can eat ice cream!  Several people that I know whom have had the sleeve never made it to goal and regained.  Several people I know whom have had the RNY have regained by eating small amounts of the wrong foods all day long.  It can be done.  You have to decide what is right for you. 

68Corvette
on 4/6/15 11:13 pm

I'm 6 yrs out on rny and I've maintained close to my goal weight (I struggle with the last 10 lbs) and I can eat small amounts of sweets which is probably why I struggle with the last 10. I can eat a doughnut but then I feel horrible and shaky and might end up dumping so I usually don't take that chance. Still have my chocolate jones and a couple of squares of dark chocolate doesn't bother me which is a mixed blessing. I excercise 5 times a week and can eat almost anything except lots of sweets. Portions are smaller and I concentrate on proteins and vegetables and avoid processed foods

yankeescl
on 4/6/15 11:58 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

No regrets here!  I love my pouch, and wouldn't have done anything differently.  I am on no medications and lead a healthy lifestyle.  I don't crave sweets, although my struggle has always been with carbs (which I strictly limit to this day).  I can shop for clothes anywhere I would like, and wear a size 4/6.  I love my life and wouldn't trade it for any type/amount of food!  It is just not worth it!!  Good luck with your decision!

OCMomma
on 4/7/15 1:06 am

tell me what your meals are like.  If you go out to say Outback ,  what do you eat?

ShebasMom
on 4/7/15 5:46 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I love their pork tenderloin, and have enough for 3 meals!  I usually take a small bite of whatever my hubby eats, lol.

Jennifer K.
on 4/7/15 2:08 am - Phoenix , AZ

Not everybody dumps on RNY... so you cannot "rely" on that to keep you from eating sweets. I can eat sugar... I do get side effects if I eat too much sugar.. but I can eat a decent amount and be ok (mind you I am almost 9 years out as well). You will be thinking about food 24/7.... you will have to completely re-learn how to eat... plus you have all the post-op stages you have to go thru.... until I hit my goal weight, which took 1.5 years, I weighed, measured, logged my food... then I pretty much knew what I needed to eat and have just stuck with that since then. Every now and then I may measure some just to keep my portion sizes in check... over time the amount you think is a cup gets bigger and bigger... so it just helps (especially with carbs).

I don't know much about the sleeve so I cannot compare. There is nothing I hate about the RNY.... I know its not for everybody, I still take my vitamins/supps every day.... I get a physical every year and they take 15 vials of blood and send me a book of blood work results back to make sure everything is in check. I weigh myself daily.. keep an eye on my weight and try to overall eat healthy. I have found a balance between eating, exercise and treats/sweets that has allowed me to maintain my loss. I keep up with support group and go at least twice a year just to remember how far Ive come and talk to the newbies and meet up with some old timers.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Navychic
on 4/7/15 4:35 am
RNY on 02/09/15

OUTBACK, I can answer this, You'd get the 8 oz filet with green beans, eat 2-3 oz and a few veggies, take the rest home, or the grilled shrimp, same story. 

Or have your dinner partner get the steak and you get the Lobster add on for a few dollars more and eat like a KING.  LOBSTER YUMM!!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

ShebasMom
on 4/7/15 5:43 am
Revision on 07/05/16

The lap band failed you because it has a 60% failure rate.  Only about 30% of rny dump. I dump on > 20 gm of sugar, which is a generous amount. I limit any sweets to special occasions (once a month).  I've 3.5 years out, so most of my meals have become routine. Most rny have normal to constipation BM's (the DS has more bathroom issues). Those that have bathroom issues, is usually during the liquid phase and sometimes it's a lactose allergy. I continue to have constipation, which I need daily Miralax and colace for. You always have to chew your food well, eating protein first and no drinking with meals. The weight loss with the rny is faster than the sleeve due to the malabsorption. But the caloric malabsorption goes away, as the new bowel adapts and grow new villi, around 18-24 months. The bypassed bowel where a lot of nutrients were absorbed, is the reason you need to take supplements the rest of your life. The sleeve has much less supplementation and far fewer nutritional deficiencies. You can take NSAIDS with the sleeve (and DS) but not the rny. RNY is the only wls for those with GERD, which is why I chose the rny. The long term stats (5 years) of weight loss and maintenance is very similar between the rny and the sleeve. If you decide to go with the sleeve, make sure your sleeve is made smaller to give you better restriction. (I suggest that you do a search on bougie sizes). Good luck in making the decision that is best for you.

Donna

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 392 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views