10 days out and pain on right side mid abdomen and into back...

Semaenlightened
on 4/4/15 11:37 am
RNY on 03/25/15

I have had a pretty eventful day starting with a call to the surgeon with impacted bowel movement which took an enema to relieve.  I added miralax to my water (all at surgeons order) and then went about my day feeling alright (and about 5 lbs lighter after that BM! LOL).  Now I am trying to relax and I have this nagging pain on my right side mid abdomen that seems to go into my back if I am standing up.  I am sitting down with a heating pad on it now.  I am trying to remind myself that I just had major abdominal surgery ten days ago so some pain is to be expected, but it just has me freaked out a bit.  I read some old posts here that all seemed to point to gallbladder but I am way to soon on my journey for that to be it....I am thinking normal surgery pain and possibly increased muscle strain from all of the excitement this morning.  Any thoughts??? 

Bethany

hollykim
on 4/4/15 12:18 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM Pacific Time, Semaenlightened wrote:

I have had a pretty eventful day starting with a call to the surgeon with impacted bowel movement which took an enema to relieve.  I added miralax to my water (all at surgeons order) and then went about my day feeling alright (and about 5 lbs lighter after that BM! LOL).  Now I am trying to relax and I have this nagging pain on my right side mid abdomen that seems to go into my back if I am standing up.  I am sitting down with a heating pad on it now.  I am trying to remind myself that I just had major abdominal surgery ten days ago so some pain is to be expected, but it just has me freaked out a bit.  I read some old posts here that all seemed to point to gallbladder but I am way to soon on my journey for that to be it....I am thinking normal surgery pain and possibly increased muscle strain from all of the excitement this morning.  Any thoughts??? 

Bethany

actually,there is no real time line for a gallb

adder to act up,post surgery,if it is going to. I have seen posts from others who developed gallstones very soon after WLS. I would definately contact my surgeon.

Maria27
on 4/5/15 12:45 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Right side pain is not normal after surgery. I have been experiencing pain in that area since surgery, and I still can't put any pressure on that side of my abdomen without pain. I thought it was normal until I went to my two week follow up, and my surgeon was rather concerned about it. I have an ultrasound scheduled to make sure everything is ok. You need to discuss this with your surgeon at your follow up appointment or sooner. I wouldn't wait if the pain gets worse.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/5/15 12:54 am, edited 4/5/15 8:42 am

GB issue can come up anytime, with our without surgery of any type. 

If you had stones before WLS, or poor working GB, the fast weight loss (preop and 10 days post op) could aggravated the liver and GB.  

I hope you feel better soon. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Semaenlightened
on 4/5/15 2:41 am
RNY on 03/25/15

Thanks for all of the feedback!!! It seems to have subsided today...I will discuss it with my surgeon or one of the nurses for sure! 

Thanks again...so glad to have this site and the support of the members!!!

Bethany

Loveandlafs
on 4/5/15 2:54 am

I am only four days out.  My surgeon just told me day of discharge, lower right ab pain is to be expected!  Glad it passed!!

Loveandlafs
on 4/5/15 2:54 am

I am only four days out.  My surgeon just told me day of discharge, lower right ab pain is to be expected!  Glad it passed!!

cspotrun
on 4/5/15 4:28 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Glad you're better! Of course you should mention it to your doctor if it persists, but I also wanted to say that after being constipated, when it's finally relieved, I'm very achy for a day or so.  And it can be on the right, left or center.

Karen   

Jody ***
on 4/6/15 12:36 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

When I'm dehydrated I'll get the side/back pain a bit and when I take a BIG dump (like you did).  Also - I had HORRIBLE gas (trapped from surgery) that just didn't seem to want to go away and that hurt too!

As far as gallbladder - it could be.  Especially if the pain seems to come and go.  I found a hot pad on my back seemed to help with that but surgery, ultimately, is the ultimate resort. 

Check with your Doctor!!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?