Frustrated after surgery

SkinnyScientist
on 4/3/15 1:13 am

Um!  REality check time!  What do you mean by exercising.  And how much how hard?  What kind of exercise did you do BEFORE surgery?

To give you an idea, I was a laproscopic RNY.  I exercised intensely for YEARS before the surgery. Seriously, I was doing body pump, cardio kick box/tae bo and step aerobics as my exercise.

While I was able to walk 3 miles after surgery...I couldnt do it ALL at once. I would maybe get half a mile to a mile in, get tired, and go back to sleep.  REpeat.  Over the course of the day, I would get in three miles that way but it wasnt all at once.

For the first month, I was told to take it fairly easy. I wasnt cleared for exercise until my 2 week followup. Yep-NO GYM for 2 weeks immediately after surgery.  I could only walk.

Then, because I was losing so much weight so fast, I really couldnt gym for 4 months afterward. I would get faint and almost pass out. One would think yoga is an easy class, but this class was the most dangerous to me because I could feel myself starting to pass out anywhere between 3-8 times in hour.

So in the 2 weeks after surgery to 4 months after surgery, I pretty much was limited to lots of walking.

After month 4 though, I could really turn up the juice at the gym.

IN summery, at 10 day post op, your gym dream might not be reasonable ESPECIALLY if you didnt have good conditionning to start with pre-op.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

karin602
on 4/3/15 1:32 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

5 pounds in the first 10 days is good because you had lots of fluids in the hospital and most of us come out anywhere from 5 to even 20 pounds heavier. So your 5 May be 10 or more pounds. Yes at some point exercise is good but you have to pace yourself and allow your body to let you know what is enough as you recover from major surgery.

Karin

mute
on 4/3/15 1:57 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks everyone. I just see other people losing 15 pounds in 2 weeks after surgery and I'm terrified this won't work for me. I NEED it to work. If I had surgery and it doesn't work I'm screwed. Insurance didn't pay for this at all - we did so I feel pressure that it works since it was so expensive.

I wasn't really exercising before, I just meant going to the Y to use the treadmill so really just walking at first. But even walking much is killing my side after I sit and work for 4 hours. Certain angles are killing me. 

I'm going to try to stay off the scales so I don't drive myself insane. I just want and need this to work.

So the advice I'm hearing here is - stay off the scales right now, concentrate on following the eating rules and healing. I'm really going to try to listen to this. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 217 views