Frustrated after surgery

mute
on 4/2/15 7:53 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Surgery went well and everything. I'm able to eat and I know I'm lucky with both of those things but I'm really frustrated that I'm 10 days out from surgery and I still have that pain in my left side that can feel almost like stabbing, What's making me so frustrated is that this is preventing me from doing a whole lot. I went back to work - I work from home - part time yesterday, and even that is making the pain worse. I want to be walking and increasing the walking and going to the Y but there is no way I can right now with this pain. I have seen my Surgeon who said this is normal and it should heal soon, within a week or 2. But meanwhile I've lost like 5 pounds, and I can;t be that active because the more active I am the more Pain I'm in.

So with all of that I feel like this is just me making more excuse while I can't get off my ass to exercise :( Or at least I worry that's how it seems to the judgy people around me. Argh.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

ShebasMom
on 4/2/15 8:33 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Sorry for your pain, but it is normal to have more pain from the left side. During surgery, there was a lot of pressure from an instrument to hold some of your organs, so the surgeon could see the surgical area. Also, do not beat yourself up.  You've had a major surgery and are not expected to do any major exercising, just walking, until you're healed (up to 6 weeks). Congratulations on the weight loss so far. It will come off, but everybody's weight loss is different. Just keep following your plan. 

NYMom222
on 4/2/15 8:35 am
RNY on 07/23/14

While the exercise is good for your health, and will help you maintain the weight loss... it is what goes into your mouth that will make you lose the weight. Not everyone loses fast in the beginning. I went into a stall one week after surgery and it lasted 3 1/2 weeks. it evens out though, lost more the second month. I know it gets very frustrating in the beginning...Do what you are supposed to, follow the plan and it will happen. I didn't have that kind of pain, but I have heard some people talk about it. Hang in there...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SkinnyScientist
on 4/3/15 1:07 am

What she said.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Semaenlightened
on 4/2/15 8:40 am
RNY on 03/25/15

Ohhhh so sorry your in so much pain!! You just had major abdominal surgery so whoever is being judgey needs to find something better to do with their time!! You don't need anyone's permission to take care of yourself!! I hope you feel better soon! The program that I am in that did the surgery told us in the pre-op nurse education group that significant left side pain is something to pay close attention too...especially if it radiates to your shoulder....or if it is accompanied by a fever of 101.1 or greater....that it may be a leak...not that I am saying that is what you should be concerned about...but what I found interesting is that they said that there is a nerve that runs up the left side of the abdomen and that swelling etc can often touch that nerve and cause shooting like pains that will pass over time when the internal healing is progressing.  Keep us posted and rest!

Bethany 

mute
on 4/2/15 9:21 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Well I am definitely following what to eat and working hard to get my protein in, which right now is mostly protein drinks and some food. But what I am eating is all following the guidelines. I'm drinking how much I need to and getting my vitamins in. 

My mom was just not super supportive of me having the surgery so I worry she's being judgy because she usually is. My husband is awesome and keeps telling me to chill out lol. He doesn't want me to pu**** 

My my surgeon said this is semi normal and I don't have a fever or pain literally anywhere else. I'm just antsy to begin this and actually lose weight. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

NYMom222
on 4/2/15 10:53 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Totally get the antsy-ness... I was convinced I was going to be one of the only ones that this wasn't going to work for. I had rearranged my insides and nothing was happening.... it will happen, like your husband says "chill"

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SkinnyScientist
on 4/3/15 1:19 am

oh..my mom is judgey too.

Trust me, you will NEVER make her happy. After years of being F.A.T and told to get the surgery. I am 139 lbs and my mom now complains that I am "too skinny" and i need to "stop it".

Let me assure you, with folks like your mom and mine, we are setting ourselves up for FAILURE in trying to please/placate/give-them what they want. Why? Because they are goal-post movers.  Further, they think there is somethign wrong with saying "WEll done" so all they do is continue to ***** and point out what you havent done or don't got. For example, I am skinny and cute...but now my mom will say. "Oh your hair was so much more full when you were in High school" (i.e. indirectly pointing otu the post-op hair loss...also...when you are in your teens your hair is at its fullest (aside from pregancy)). So you see, she can really give someone the complex if she wants.

My advice, ignore her, learn how to use your middle finger (or say "Yeah yeah" "blah blah blah" or whatever) and just let it go in one ear out the other.

MOms...ugh.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

nicupnorth
on 4/2/15 9:32 am - Eagle river, WI

Hang in there I was a good 3 weeks in pain UNTIL I went back to work and I didn't have sharp little 2y/o elbows digging  into my stomach at all times of the day.  My pain was getting up and down to a sitting position.  It was a good two months before I could sleep on my side!  IT GETS BETTER and STAY OFF THE SCALE!  Really it will end a lot of frustration that you don't need right now just concentrate on healing.  😄

crazy4birds
on 4/2/15 2:00 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I had left side pain too.  Mine was just a sharp pain every now and then.  However when I had hernia surgery I had left side pain in which I could barely move.  It was what I believe was a muscle spasm.  Every time I tried to move it would seize up and I couldn't finish moving until it stopped. The hernia pamphlet said most people would be back to work in 5 days and I was still having a hard time getting out of bed after 5 days. Hope you feel better soon.  Eventually it will heal and you will be exercising in no time.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views