diagnosed with breast cancer this past monday

lekoleko
on 4/5/15 5:30 am

Oh thank u. Thx for ur time and prayers. This website is so uplifting. I am definitely finding strength thru all these heartfelt mssgs and wealth of advice. I reallyappreciate it

mute
on 4/6/15 4:24 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I had breast cancer 8 years ago - pre WLS. Just wanted to say it's doable and if you need to talk to someone who's been there, I'm here!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

lekoleko
on 4/11/15 10:08 am

Thank you Melinda

sydneyluv
on 4/10/15 12:18 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to offer my support as somebody who was diagnosed with breast cancer post rny.  I had surgery May 7th of 2012 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in March of 2013 at the age of 37 years.  I was only 10 months post surgery when I got that awful news.  While I thought I was on the road to a new healthy life, my world was definitely turned upside down.  As a matter of fact, my one year surgiversary I also spent at the Cancer Center getting an infusion of chemo. I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and being a BRCA 1 carrier, it was recommended that I have a Bilateral Mastectomy as well as my ovaries removed.  I participated in a trial at Stanford University in which I was given chemo intravenously, as well as an oral chemotherapy pill.  I would be more than happy to share my experience with you.  In January of this year, I was 1 year cancer free!:)   I am sending you a friend request and I will gladly share my email address in case you have more questions or you just need someone to talk to.  I did a lot of research on dealing with cancer post Rny and just like you, I had a difficult time finding information. 

I'm sending prayers and hugs your way!

lekoleko
on 4/11/15 10:14 am

Thank u sydneyluv.  I really appreciate  ur support and sharing with me ur  experience.  

Paula R.
on 4/11/15 8:07 am - White House, TN

I had RNY in 2011, lost over 160 pounds and also gained back a little. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. I had a port placed for my chemo. I am getting 6 rounds of chemo (4 down). I haven't had any issues with absorption of meds. I'm due soon for my 4 year postop appt. I'm interested to see how my nutritional labs turn out. It was a stunning diagnosis for me. I felt healthier than I had for years and had just been promoted at work. It has been very stressful. i don't think the RNY has effected my breast cancer treatment. I have lost weight since beginning chemo but I adhere to the bariatric diet usually. I am too tired to eat or just ain't hungry the first week after chemo.  By the third week, I am almost back to normal. Your treatment plan will depend on the three breast cancer markers, ER, PR, and Her2. I am ER PR negative, and Her 2 positive. Good luck to a fellow fighter!

lekoleko
on 4/11/15 10:18 am

Thank u Paula. did u have to build up ur iron stores, or any other deficiencies u may have had? Oncologist wants me to do iron infusions. Im glad he was keen on that

Paula R.
on 4/11/15 10:38 am - White House, TN

My iron was low over a year ago and my NP at the weight loss clinic advised me to take slow release iron on a daily basis. My hemoglobin is low but running at my "normal". 24 hours after each chemo, I get a Neulasta injection which pumps up your bone marrow keeping your blood counts from getting too low. It sounds like your iron must be very low or your oncologist wouldn't be that concerned. 

lekoleko
on 4/11/15 10:58 am

Yes i believe its low although i must research on how to decipher all the lab scores. Or ranges. They are testing me for the brca genes but looks like mastectomy is what docs are leaning towards. mri is monday so still not sure if i will need chemo. Its funny when doc asked if i felt tired re: low ironsymptoms. And i thought, "me tired, mom of 4, full time job, wife...i dont know any other way to be!" And i mean that with all sincerety.  Oh and i am ER neg, PR pos, and HER2 neg.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 392 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics