diagnosed with breast cancer this past monday

SkinnyScientist
on 4/4/15 7:35 am

If absorption is an issue for you, or you are worried about it, TELL YOUR ONCOLOGIST and get your chemo administered via: 1)  i.v. infusion (I.e into a vein...kind of like they do with the saline in hospital), 2) push (via a port that was surgically installed ..usually right about your left breast. A nurse will flu**** each time and then use a big long needle to inject the chemo) or continuous infulsion (wiht a pump that is also surgically installed in you).

Good luck

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 4/4/15 7:42 am

P.S. I am not an Onc doctor or nurse...but I did research studies with patients on how they metabolize chemotherapy when getting samples from my own patients.  I know these administration mechanisms are available.

However, when I was getting out of research, there was a big push for taking your chemo at home and having a quality of life.  Literally, for some forms of chemo, by the time you drive there, get it administered, and drive home, one's day is shot.

But if oral absorption were an issue, I would go for one of three routes I mentioned above.

If I woke up with cancer today, as a human to a human (not medical advice), I would get one of the three adminstration mechanisms above. Chemotherapies have a narrow therapeutic index.  The efficious dose (i.e. the amount that kills cancer) and the toxic dose are close.  Worse, if you arent orally absorbing all of the administered dose, it would be akin to underdosing you.

But this is my two cents. You are the one that has to fight AND STILL live your life and be there for your family.  Only you can make the call.

I will support you either way.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

And I think you got a really ****ty deal.

lekoleko
on 4/4/15 8:09 am
Thank u skinny scientist will def refer back to ur advice
Eggface
on 4/4/15 8:29 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Sending you prayers and good vibes.

Definitely get your oncologist talking to your surgeon's office.

An interesting read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3571763/

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

SkinnyScientist
on 4/4/15 8:58 am

"This patient required twice the dose of cyclosporine compared to the control group to achieve therapeutic levels."

-Eggface. This is EXACTLY what I was getting at above.  IN the world of chemo, you just cant be takign double the dose to achieve efficious plasma levels (it could damage her intestines).  Again, if I were in her shoes, I would go for a non-oral route. HOwever, we dont know the stage of cancer, what was perscribed or whether it has metasized.

Depending on the above, and her desired quality of life (which is subjective but is OFTEN THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE to a patient), she may be taking an oral form.

Thank you.

HFA70
on 4/4/15 12:31 pm

Positive thoughts being sent to you! 

I have no advice for you,  but if l hear of anything thats helpful,  l will be in touch

heather1963
on 4/4/15 5:13 pm

I don't have advice, but I think you've been given alot of good that you can use. I just wanted to post to give you support. I hope the support here helps you and makes it just a little bit easier. 

lekoleko
on 4/4/15 11:49 pm

Tears of joy. Yes the support truly helps. And i thank u. I am prepared to fight this. I will keep u all posted.  The support here is amazing. Thanks again

jeterway
on 4/5/15 1:17 am

So sorry to hear this diagnosis.  I haven't had cancer but as a brca1 person, I have been through a mastectomy - it can be a long road.  I wish you well on this journey.  There is a cancer forum on OH that has some information although it is not that active.  There are also many groups on FB related to breast cancer that provide loads of information.  If I can be of any help with support as you go through this process, please pm me. 

JoAnn

tdbull
on 4/5/15 2:27 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Sending you tons of hugs and prayers. You sound like you are going into this fight with the right attitude and that you will be strong enough to overcome this. I don't know anyone who has gone through this, but just wanted to wish you all the best.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 392 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics