diagnosed with breast cancer this past monday

lekoleko
on 4/3/15 10:59 pm

Hello all. Its been awhile. Had rny in 2012 lost 130 lbs. Gained a lil back. But still trying to make it to goal and now got the bad news of having breast cancer. ready  to fight it with all i got. I just worry about not absorbing meds, and low vitamin levels with an already altered digestive system. Anyone go thru this experience? How was ur treatment plan? Vitamin levels, did u gain or lose? Just reallyconcerned what my treatment plan'll look like since having wls. Thank u

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/15 11:22 pm

I am sorry that you were diagnosed with breast cancer. It is a fight that you can win. I would write all the questions you have and talk to your doctor about your concerns. 

You can beat this. 

Take care

lekoleko
on 4/3/15 11:56 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Thanks for the love n support

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/3/15 11:42 pm - OH

Don't worry about "not absorbing meds".  The vast majority of medications will get absorbed just fine.  It is really only extended release meds that can be problematic for us and neither of the two people I know who developed cancer after RNY wre given extended release meds (or were even told that an extended release med would be the drug of choice). Their treatment didn't slund any different than the folks I know who have had cancer and not had WLS.

Make sure that you continue to get in adequate vitamins. If anything was low at your last set of labs, you may want to talk to your doctor about icnrease do dosages of those so your body is as strong as to can be.

Good luck.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lekoleko
on 4/3/15 11:53 pm

Thank u Lora great advice. I am so grateful. Been researching breast cancer postop wls, and i havent found much out there. OH is a wealth of info, because of wonderful folks like u. Thanks

cspotrun
on 4/3/15 11:45 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

So sorry to hear.  I can tell you're a fighter and will tackle this head on.  I'm sure you're gathering a great team of doctors and they will develop the best treatment plan for you.  Best to you.

Karen   

lekoleko
on 4/3/15 11:49 pm

Thank u for theencouragement.  Its a whole other world. And i havent even started this journey yet . I appreciate the kind words.

SkinnyBonz38
on 4/7/15 2:11 am

Oh lekoleko I feel the sadness from your diagnosis. But I also hear the strength from your post, that you will get through this and come out victorious. I won't overwhelm you with my words but if you want to unload on me please do so. 

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/4/15 12:23 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Very sorry to read your post.  I think making a list of all your questions and concerns is the best way to get the answers you need from your doctors and to help you keep track of what is being said.  I have found that bringing someone with me ( a very close friend and not my husband) who takes notes for me and keeps track of questions asked and answered made a huge difference for me when dealing with complications I had post-op.  

You can beat this - I wish you every success.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

lekoleko
on 4/4/15 12:38 am

Thank u Ashley. I really appreciate it. Are u really in Belgium? Soooo cool!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 384 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics