Problems with dairy after surgery?

catalina07
on 4/1/15 7:17 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Lately I have noticed certain symptoms after I have eaten things like cheese. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with dairy products after surgery, when they did not have any problems with it prior??

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Karen518
on 4/1/15 8:12 am

I became lactose intolerant after surgery.  I can eat cheese and yogurt, but I don't tolerate milk at all.  I don't like milk, so I don't miss it.  I use almond milk as a substitute when I need milk for something.

A lot of people seem to have similar symptoms.  If you searched, you would likely find a bunch of information.

italygrl22
on 4/1/15 8:39 am

My RNY was in 2005 and about a year after surgery I became lactose intolerant. I now take this daily over the counter supplement and can eat any cheese and dairy product now. 

RayaniFoxmur
on 4/1/15 9:03 am - Bowling Green, OH
RNY on 01/13/15 with

I don't have the problem but my surgeon warned me that it's very common 

HW: 446  SW: 391.4 CW: 317.0

http://thernyjourney.blogspot.com - My blog on my journey!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/1/15 9:37 pm

I have dairy allergy ~ all dairy, even cheese, whey, or yogurt. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AngryViking
on 4/1/15 11:22 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

Aww, I just asked about this in the menu post!  I had a dumping-like episode after a glass of milk last night.  It's never happened before and I'll be sad if I can't drink milk again. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/2/15 12:34 am

Dumping on milk- = dumping on milk sugar...  it is not the same as lactose intolerance.  if yo try to drink lactose free milk- and dump  - then you would known you just dump on liquid sugar or are lactose intolerant.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AngryViking
on 4/2/15 12:36 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I need to get me some Lactaid and test this out.  I am not (to this point) a dumper so it was very distressing.  LOL

cspotrun
on 4/2/15 12:20 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I have to drink milk slowly or I dump.  8 ounces over 20 minutes or so.  It also helps to drink Fairlife brand.  Has more protein and also lactose free.  I think the protein helps balance the sugar.

Karen   

SkinnyScientist
on 4/3/15 1:24 am

Lactose intolerance happens often...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?