Surgery Out-of-Town - seeking some guidance

bdk515
on 3/31/15 2:59 am - Kingston, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/06/15

The countdown to my May 6 surgery date is on - very exciting and a little terrifying all at the same time.

As the procedure is not performed in my city, I will be travelling 3 hours away for the surgery.  Post op, my surgeon has asked that I remain within an hour of the hospital (where the surgery will be performed) for 5-7 days - so a hotel it will be for me.

While I have read the articles and posts on the must have items for while in the hospital, I am curious what I will need to comfortably survive the  first week post op - as I will have to bring these with me from home to my temporary hotel lodging.

Any and all suggestions would be most helpful and welcome!

khunton
on 3/31/15 3:47 am

Maybe make sure the hotel room has a chair? Idk how you will be or how anyone else was after surgery, but I couldn't lay flat in bed. I had a hard time sleeping in a bed. My surety was about a week ago and I'm just now sleeping in bed.

if they don't have a chair ask for extra pillows and surround yourself with them on the sides for support and maybe sleep kinda sitting up 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/31/15 4:07 am

Make sure the hotel has a small fridge in the room, and if you have someone else staying with you - a suite like room (if you can afford that) may be ideal.

but pillows, wet wipes,  bathroom spray, gas-x, herbal teas and decaf coffee (I could mix that with proteins) .. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/15 4:17 am - Canada

Hello. I went through this as well. My surgery was at Humber River Regional in Toronto, Ontario. The challenge for me was what to buy for food. I hope you have someone going with you because you won't feel like doing much yourself. My hubby was on a mission to find me sugar free jello, Kozy Shack rice pudding and sugar free pudding. My goal was just to nibble and keep myself hydrated. If the doctor prescribes a bunch of stuff try to hold off on some of it. The reason I suggest this is because he prescribed Milk of Magnesia (still haven't needed it) Liquid Tylenol for pain that was children's formula (they gave this to me in the hospital) didn't need it and gave it to my niece for her son. All the little things add up especially when you are paying for a hotel. Don't be afraid to ask if the hospital knows of any hotels near by that offer a special rate for Bariatric patients. We booked for 4 nights but I was able to go home after 2. Hope this helps. Chris

iloveravens
on 3/31/15 6:46 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I would try to stay at a place like Extended Stay America or somewhere with a freezer.  Sugar free ice pops were a main source of liquid for me in the first couple of weeks.  Also might want to bring a white noise/sleep machine.  Hotels can be very noisy and disruptive to sleep.  I travel a lot and always have my sound machine.  Gas-X, Tums, vitamins, ready to drink protein shakes, bottled water, crystal light mix (some people steer away from crystal light, but it remains a staple for me to this day)...good luck!  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

bdk515
on 3/31/15 7:12 am - Kingston, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/06/15

Thank you all for the tips!  Very helpful.

flashkiki, we are in exactly the same boat - I too am in K-town and going to Humber River for the surgery.  While my hubby and daughter have to stay in Kingston for school and work, my super hero mom will be taking this wild ride with me.

we will be staying at the HI Express directly across the street from the hospital and I have requested a room with a fridge and based on the advice, I'm glad I did.

thanks again!

iloveravens
on 3/31/15 7:39 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Oh!  I meant to add, if your room doesn't have a freezer, you can ask them to store pops for you at the front desk (in their fridge/freezer).  I did that at several hotels in my early months, they were always happy to help.  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

bdk515
on 3/31/15 8:02 am - Kingston, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/06/15

Thank you so much for this...very very helpful!  Dare I ask what the baby wipes are for :-O??

poet_kelly
on 3/31/15 12:30 pm - OH

I had surgery three hours away but my surgery didn't ask me to stay in a hotel for a week.  I guess have plenty of comfy clothes, whatever you're supposed to be eating and drinking, your meds, vitamins, Tylenol, a thermometer (in case you think you're running a fever), lip balm, maybe some extra pillows.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pegasus_AM
on 3/31/15 1:00 pm

I'm from Havelock,ON just had my surgery at HRRH March 2nd/15 stayed at The Best Western right next to the Holiday Inn. There is a No Frills at the back of the little strip mall you can see it from the Holiday Inn that is where I got all my food. There is also a Costco about 8 minutes from the hotels up the 400 North and the massive Vaughan Mills mall is up there too. I would have been lost without extra pillows, comfy clothes, a phone card for long distance calls home, some dinnerware, utensils and can opener from home, the usual tioletries (hairbrush, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodourant, lip balm, etc..)  and make sure you bring all youe medicarionscwith you. Hospital parking is 20.00 a day or you can buy a week pass for 40.00. Can't think of anything else to add at the moment. If you have any questions just message me otherwise Good-Luck :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 460 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 376 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics