Surgery date

Jfried
on 3/28/15 12:51 pm

Hi guys, I've been on this forum for the past few days. It is great to see the support and knowledge that all you "experienced" rnyers have. I just got my surgery date and it is May 4th 2015. I am excited and scared as heck. I had a band in 2004 and it turned out to be a disaster. I hope the revision to rny will help. My metabolism is all messed up and I can not lose weight on 2000 calories a day. I weigh 384 pounds. I am concerned that I won't be able to accomplish the pre op liquid phase, and long term malabsorbtion vitamin deficiencies. I wanted the vsg but my surgeon said that the rny would be better for me. He wants me to keep the band in for an extra precaution post surgery. The insurance company did not approve the removal of the band as well. Do you guys and gals have any suggestions and encouragement. Please

stevie95678
on 3/28/15 1:21 pm

My RNY surgery date is 4/8 and I'm on day 4 of the pre-op liquid diet. While it's not "ideal", it's not that tough. My plan has 4 pre-packaged shakes a day (200 calories each and 90 grams of protein total), I can have chicken or beef broth, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free jello. The first 3 days were tough but today was a little easier. I wish you all the best on your prep and your surgery.

Jfried
on 3/28/15 1:23 pm

Thanks and good luck to you as well. Keep in touch

cherg24
on 3/29/15 11:07 am - Ontario, Canada

Hi....I don't have any magical advice but wanted to say i'll be starting this very close to you.  April 22nd is my date.    I would try to say that the surgeon has seen lots of people in your situation so that probably gives insight into what may work best for you!  I wish you the best of luck!

bdk515
on 3/30/15 11:59 pm - Kingston, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/06/15

While "experienced" is a category I fall completely short of - I am in the same boat and am sharing in most of the same excitement and fear!!  My surgery date is May 6 and upon learning of my date this was all suddenly very real. 

Fearful, as you, that I will not be successful with the pre op liquid phase, I have already made some changes and test driving a few "recipes" to try and get me through.  Breakfast has always been my main meal and, typically, contained far too many carbs.  So, as soon as I heard the news of my date, I stopped my typical breakfast routine (Tim Horton's was basically my personal chef ;) and opted for a home made high protein option - hummus and veggies or eggs alternately through the week.

Using protein powder, I have tested out a few shake recipes that I intend to use with my Opti Fast - using zero calorie drink crystals (similar to crystal light) or liquid drops (Mio etc) and the vanilla and sugar free orange koolaid mixture makes for a delicious creamcycle flavoured delight.  The chocolate mixed with raspberry crystal light with less water and mixed to a pudding consistency was also yummy and provided for a different texture.

My 14 yr old daughter used our popcycle molds and mixed up some home made sugar free popcycles for me and they were again another fun and different texture to keep things interesting.

I believe that SF Jell-o (and SF gum) will be the ultimate saviours in that I will have something to actually chew on...

My surgeon has also advised that I may have a maximum of 2 cups of green vegetables each day...Cucumbers, green peppers, asparagus, lettuce, spinach, kale, broccoli - Check with your surgeon as this may be an option for you that will help that phase be a little more tolerable.

April 22 is my first day of the liquid phase and I have decided to stay away from all of the shakes, popcycles and Jell-o so as not to be completely tired of them before I even get going.  I am determined to make it though, and believe that a positive mindset (while being perfectly aware that it's going to be incredibly tough) will help me get there. 

Have faith in yourself and know that you can do it - regardless of any past disasters!  I am sending good vibes your way and wish you all the best. 

If you find any tips and tricks that make the liquid phase more appealing and/or just a bit easier along the way, please share - I would love to hear them.  If you are interested, I will continue to do the same.

jackieboy331
on 3/31/15 12:48 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for your response it is quite helpful. Please please keep in touch. I do not have much support  and am quite busy with my business etc. But, I am determined to make this work as well even though I've failed at everything else. I would love to hear from you as to your progress and any new ideas you may have. Good luck to you and keep in touch, please

Kathy S.
on 3/31/15 1:36 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jackieboy331
on 3/31/15 1:57 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Kathy

Thanks a mill for all those resources. I will look into it. Please keep in touch with further updates and encouragement.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 460 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 376 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics