Please, I am so discouraged

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/15 9:33 am - OH

Your surgeon probably defines a true stall the way many here do... Not losing anything for more than a month.  Most people don't really consider not losing anything for just a week or two a true stall because it happens to almost everyone at some point (sometimes multiple points) along the way.

As the others have said, he is out of his mind if he really expects you to lose 40+ pounds the first month.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/24/15 1:35 am

It is your FIRST (and hopefully ONLY) rodeo.  It is OKAY NOT to know.  REsearch, ask questions to the vets, and ask questions of the surgeon, his office AND his nutritionist.

Seriously, I have a good relationship wiht my surgeons NUT and PA. I write them about 1-3 times a month with updates, pics, AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS. Some are even as banal as "How can I make this recipe more healthy and pouch friendly?  Is substutituting avacodo for less caloric FF mayo in tuna salad REALLY better?"

I assure you NONE of them have said "Skinny-quit writing us!"

;)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 3/24/15 1:30 am

Three week stalls.

And there will be many stalls.

Also-could your doc have been joking?  Sometiems, they forget that THIS is our first rodeo. Get on the phone and his office...just so you REALLY know what the expectations are.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/24/15 1:31 am

Also. We are here for you!

With that said, please remember that there will be many stalls. YOUR GOAL (which you MUST ACCEPT FOR SUCCESS) is to: 1) stay on plan, 2) not let the stall mess with your head too much (easier said than done) and 3) do NOTHING deterimental that will prolong your stall and continued success.

Friends K.
on 3/29/15 9:11 am
RNY on 01/14/14

there is a really good biological reason related to glycogen stores and water and the 3 week stall.  But I agree this isn't a stall....a stall lasts at least a month.  This is just a quick catch up!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

K P.
on 3/29/15 9:43 am
DS on 07/08/14

Oh please don't be discouraged. Your surgeon is a jerk for saying that - and well, you will also find if you search the boards - that many of us see support staff after surgery not our surgeon. I personally loved my surgeon but he did his job, I now see his RN who was there during my surgery but nurses tend to be better people people. In fact they asked me if I wanted to see my surgeon during my 1 year follow up and I said "nope i'll see Kim". So maybe thats an option for you :)

BUT like Grim and others have said, there is this thing called the three week stall. Its real for a lot of people! I didn't have it but I had DS and I also contracted C-Diff so yeah. My husband on the other hand, who had RNY, he seems to have a stall about every three weeks. It lasts about a week and then he seems to drop like 10-20lbs overnight. Not kidding. I can't figure out how it is possible but I hear the scale say it. I even have made him get back on and made sure nothing is under it!

We have learned that there are also signs that he experiences right before a big loss. He gets really achy. His bones and joints are sore, and he sleeps a TON. Thats just how his body seems to process. I think I was tired all the time, but again I had some other stuff going on. 

Regardless, you are staying on plan, keep that up. If you don't loose 20lbs in 2 weeks then you don't. Not everyone is the same. Don't be discouraged and STICK TO PLAN!!!

HANG IN THERE 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 460 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 376 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?