Encouragement After Recent RNY Please!

oakley087
on 3/21/15 10:41 pm

Hang in there im  3 weeks out tomorrow and like they all say the 2nd week is so much better, but walk for sure the gas is very painful i thought i was having a heartattack i had so much pain in my chest and right shoulder it was terrible it lasted for about 3 days but walk as much as you can. and as for the liquids get as much as you can in daily sip all the time 

catalina07
on 3/21/15 11:00 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I have seen on here that some people say things like "I was wondering if I even had the surgery done because I felt so good!"...well that was NOT me at all. I was pretty much useless for a week. I needed help just to get up out of bed. I did have 3 surgeries at once though to be fair. Anyway, Even in the second week I really wasnt feeling too great. For me, it was week 3 that I really started to feel like a "person" again and not a "patient". The recovery was pretty hard for me. I was calling the surgeon to get more pain medicine as I ran out. The point of this story is...I am now in month 4. I have lost a lot of weight. I am under 200 lbs for the first time in-forever! The pain IS temporary and it WILL go away. .. and you will be here helping others that are experiencing the same thing!  Congratulations on your surgery! Hope you feel better soon!

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Rjoy
on 3/22/15 1:00 am

Hi there! I had RNY on the 17th and one of the things I enjoy is the sugar free jello.  We made a batch and poured it into ice cube trays and when I feel like I need something, I have 2 lil containers of the jello.  I think it's just a little over an ounce.  Things will get better for you, Its an exciting journey. 

Taylor10
on 3/22/15 1:20 am

Thank you everyone for all of the great advice and kind words of support! I'm already starting to feel slightly better and I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help out!

karenp8
on 3/22/15 3:00 am - Brighton, IL

Hang in there Taylor! You will begin to feel a bit better everyday,I promise! Soon you will feel stronger and better than you have in years. What to eat and when to drink will become second nature and your new normal. And you will be so glad you took this step. Walk as often as you can and get in your fluids as that will really help you to feel better. This is the hardest part so just keep the end in sight--a healthier you that you probably can't even imagine right now!

crazy4birds
on 3/22/15 4:18 am
RNY on 12/02/14

Hi I am 3 1/2 months post surgery and in terms of discomfort it's hard to believe that I had surgery that short of time ago.  I can roll around on the floor with my grandkids, move furniture around the house,  sleep on my belly.  The first few weeks after surgery I couldn't imagine ever doing them again but it does get better and soon it will be like it never happened.  Now the eating part is still a challenge for me, having trouble with meat but I'm sure soon this will be a distant memory.  You are young and strong and you will get through this with flying colors. The weeks will seem to drag on but they will pass and soon the gas will be gone and you will be advancing to progressively solid food.  Happy days ahead :)

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

iloveravens
on 3/23/15 12:01 am
RNY on 08/13/14

The first few weeks were really tough for me too.  I had a slow recovery...but it gets SOOOO much better and fast.  Just keep sipping, walking, sipping, and walking.  Every day gets better than the one before.  You've got this!  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Kathyjs
on 3/23/15 9:52 am

I was open so didn't have the gas problem but years ago I saw some one post , for gas pretend you are swimming , that motion releases some of the gas . It's rough surgery both physically and mentally but so worth it . I had it 12 years ago and still at goal. Be kind to yourself and sip sip sip. Room temp skim milk worked for me

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 375 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 214 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics