Encouragement After Recent RNY Please!

Taylor10
on 3/21/15 9:43 am

Hello everybody! I've done a lot of reading on here but have not yet written a post. I had my RNY this weds 3/18 and was allowed to go home yesterday. I had a fairly bad hospital experience as the hospital was over full and I was moved around a lot, causing further discomfort and anxiety. I'm happy to be home but wasn't really expecting to be this uncomfortable.

I'm 21 years old and have no other health problems and after a lot of research I just didn't expect this much pain (gas pain, nausea, anxiety over what to eat). Everyone on here has been so helpful to me and to hear that this is the worst part and normal and I won't be in pain forever would give me such encouragement. If you have any advice at all to get through this please share! Thank you!

NHPOD9
on 3/21/15 9:58 am

You'll get through this! The first few days are rough, but it will get better. 

My suggestions:

1. Walk around the house or on flat ground when you can. The movement will help release the trapped gas, which can be uncomfortable.

2. Keep hydrated. I could not drink much at first, but I kept a little alarm clock that went off every five minutes, which reminded me to drink. Sipping a protein drink will help with both hydration and protein requirements.

3. You may find sleeping upright, in a recliner or chair, to be more comfortable than the bed.

It gets better!

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Taylor10
on 3/21/15 10:28 am

Thank you so much Jen! I'm having a lot of trouble getting in my liquids and protein so that will be very helpful!

Lovetocruz
on 3/21/15 10:27 am - Nashville, NC

Okay, you have made it through step one.  Give yourself a week....baby yourself, take your meds, don't try to be tough and not take them. Only hard things to push during this time is walk, walk, walk, and sip, sip sip.  Sugar free popsicles are great during this time. 

Walking wilk help you sooooo much.  Don't fail to walk.  Just from room to room very often initially, not looking for a marathon walker, but frequent.  Sipping and popsicles will help keep you hydrated and increase you sense of well-being.  TAKE YOUR MEDS as prescribed....Hang tough for few days, and you will zoom through this stage

Taylor10
on 3/21/15 10:48 am

Thank you for the great advice! I really needed this encouragement from people who have been through this and it is definitely helping me keep positive!

Doingrightin2015
on 3/21/15 11:06 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Hi, I just had my surgery 8 days before you. I am 54 years old. I am here to tell you it does get better by the start of your second week it will not be bad. I am a little sore but not in pain. Hang in there, we got this!!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

teach2
on 3/21/15 11:46 am
RNY on 12/23/14

I agree - weeks two started to get better. I was weak and nauseated for awhile though. Isopure protein drink really helped me in the beginning. It's like a kool-aid - not milk based- so it quenched my thirst AND gave needed protein. It has 40 grams! I like the pineapple one best. You can get it at GNC.

good luck. You can do this!

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

Rosalie123
on 3/21/15 12:01 pm

Hang on ... It gets better. Sip, sip, sip. Walking seemed to help me. Welcome to the losers bench!

RNY 2/24/15

NinaCanDOit
on 3/21/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

You can do it! 

Drink water,  and just keep drinking... well sipping really.  I made little goals for myself every hour to make sure I was getting enough liquids.  Also, as mentioned, just moving around, walking around the house, going outside for a short walk in the sun, it all helps to get rid of that gassy feeling.  (I would cheery loudly after passing gas, much to my family's chagrin.)We all have different experiences after surgery.  I was in pain and sore for weeks and I couldn't understand why my experience wasn't matching what I kept seeing on here, until I read a post from someone who had RNY and a hiatal hernia fix at the same time... and then I remembered that so did I.  It never occurred to me until that point that it would alter my recovery or make it more challenging, but man it took me a whole month to feel like myself again.  For most people it's usually a week or two to bounce back, so hopefully you will feel much better soon!

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Hilda25
on 3/21/15 12:40 pm
RNY on 03/16/15

I had surgery on the 16th and today has been the most difficult. I took milk of magnesia yesterday because I hadn't had a BM, well it worked really well and completely cleared me out, only problem was now I'm dehydrated. I called my doctor and he told me to sip on Gatorade al day which has been helping.  The abdominal cramping is finally starting to subside. I'm glad I found this forum with lots of support. I know it will get better in the days to come!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics