Starting to freak out about surgery Monday...

mute
on 3/21/15 6:57 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Not about the actual surgery but more about the feeling that I don't know what I'm able to eat the first month or two. I've been very concentrated on the long term changes and I know what I can/can't eat then but haven't been as focused on the short term. My NUT didn't really give me as much info as it seems some other people got. I keep reading over everything and it doesn't seem clear to me what we're able to eat in the short term.

I get the liquids and the full liquids phase but the soft foods the only things that I'm sure about are eggs, yogurt, and cottage cheese. 

Is there anymore info around on the short term food lists?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

tofa05
on 3/21/15 7:04 am
RNY on 03/23/15

My surgery is on the same date I feel the same way. Good luck to you hang in there we can do this!!

mute
on 3/21/15 7:08 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Nice, surgery twin :) Good luck to you too! I'll look for your name on here to see how you're doing.

Melinda

Poodlemac
on 3/21/15 7:22 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I got more detailed info from the hospital nutritionists than the one with my doctor, especially for the early phases.  You'll probably be abled to go shopping after a few days for anything you may need.  

helionoftroy
on 3/21/15 7:36 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

My surgery is also on Monday. This is the plan I was given. I hope this helps. 40 grams of protein & 64 ounces of liquids. Protein shakes count towards the 64 ounce goal. No bread, cereal, rice, pasta, or crackers during these stages. After these 6 weeks you are allowed more substantial food.

Stage 1 - clear liquids - This stage lasts for 1 week.

• protein beverages, decaffeinated tea/coffee, sugar free gelatin, water, ice, broth, crystal light, sugar free kool-aid, diet V8 splash, diet snapple

Stage 2 - full liquids - this stage lasts for 2 weeks.

• cream soups (low fat), milk (skim or 1%, sugar free pudding, yogurt (low fat, no sugar added), thin mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, oatmeal, and grits.

Stage 3 - soft foods - this stage lasts for 3 weeks

• canned tuna, chicken, salmon (packed in water
  • cottage cheese, low fat cheeses
  • eggs (scrambled or hard boiled)
  • low fat refried beans
  • canned fruit (no syrup)
  • no sugar added applesauce
  • canned or soft cooked veggies

mute
on 3/21/15 7:42 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thank you - some of that is on my list but not all. I have a question about the cream soups. So my booklet says low fat cream soups made with milk. Does that mean like low fat cream of chicken soup mixed with milk?

That's something that's been confusing me.

Good luck on your surgery!!

Melinda

helionoftroy
on 3/21/15 8:10 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

What I was told in the final class was to strain the cream soups, no chunky stuff. The soups are normally concentrated so you pretty much have to add liquid. I would add milk because it contains protein. The amount we will be able to eat will only be 2 ounces if we're lucky. I was also told I will be going home with a stack of one ounce medicine cups and to use those cups to measure my food. 

Good luck to you as well!!!

mute
on 3/21/15 8:43 am
RNY on 03/23/15

You know, I didn't even think of that about the soups because I normally cook with them and don't eat them lol.

Melinda

LC727
on 3/21/15 7:45 am

Mine is also Monday!!!!!!!!!!!! Quadruplets we are and yes we got this. The list she posted is good and what they said ask for more information at the hospital for sure I am sure they will have all that too. 

mute
on 3/21/15 8:45 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Surgery quads, I'm glad I found others who are on my same day!

Melinda

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 453 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 213 views